cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gotta Crawl Before You Can Walk (I Guess)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotta Crawl Before You Can Walk (I Guess)

Last week my scores were TU: 623 | EQ: 575 | EX: 599, my paid down utilization on my secured Cap1 and Discover hit my reports this morning and my new scores are TU: 651 | EQ: 606 | EX: 632. 

I'm still being denied for EVERYTHING. Walmart, Amazon (Store card and Visa), QVC, Capital One (QS1 and Platinum), Barclays, Target.... I give up.. I really would've liked a little credit to buy a few small gifts for Christmas, but oh well. However, I decided in one last ditch effort to apply for Care Credit to have as a good backup in case my dog gets sick, and I was APPROVED. I only received a tiny $500 CL, but it's a start. I read on the boards to wait 24 hours and then call tomorrow and try for a CLI, so we shall see.

I've been denied for everything else known to man except Care Credit, so I guess I will "garden" for a few months and let my fairly new (as of August and Sept, when I started my re-build) secured credit card accounts (Cap1 secured and Discover It secured) grow for a bit and then try again. 

I just need to learn some patience, I guess. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gotta Crawl Before You Can Walk (I Guess)

Patience sucks donkey ding dong.  PREACH.

7 months after my guerllia tactic approach, American Express has prequalified me.  It takes time. Discover still won't approve me.  My token collection hanging over my head.  In the meantime, make a list of cards you reallllllly want, and next change of season, assess where you are and apply for one that you want.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

waiting sucks......but try to give those secured cards 6 months to report - then try again......save the inquiries for then as you don't need too many of them out there.   Heck I got denied for VS because they said I had too many inquiries (a whole 6 of them! which had resulted in 5 cards - one was an old one from the car loan)

Message 3 of 9
yfan
Valued Contributor

Have patience. Garden. It's worth it. You are paying your bills, moving in the right direction. Let that happen and enjoy life. Don't obsess over credit and everything will be okay in time.

Message 4 of 9
Pway
Valued Contributor

Give it some time.  It looks as though your previous scores was borderline for approval and denial and in your case it was denials.  I just got in with Walmart and JCPenney about a day ago, my scores at time of approval was 640.  Seeing that you was recently denied for those cards I would wait a month or so and try again.  Yes Synchrony pulls TU.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all! I'm going to officially garden. I said that a few days ago, but then app'd for a Kohl's store card (for Christmas presents since everywhere else denied me), and since they only pull EX, I was approved for a small $300 limit.

I had 2 new medical collection hit my EQ report yesterday, and will be hitting EX and TU soon I'm sure. Hopefully they are the last "surprise" medical collections from my illness last year that will hit my reports. Going to have to garden for a while now. Can't afford to PFD because of the amounts, so I'm going to have to just let them sit there for a while.

Ahhhh, the credit journey, tis can be a heart breaker sometimes.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grats on the Kohls card. Every little bit helps, but like everyone else said...the key is patience. Remember it's not a sprint but a marathon. Good luck!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't found a way to learn patience...mine sucks, so I found a 'no patience' support group.
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Garden-Club-December-2015/td-p/4352606
Message 8 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks all! I'm going to officially garden. I said that a few days ago, but then app'd for a Kohl's store card (for Christmas presents since everywhere else denied me), and since they only pull EX, I was approved for a small $300 limit.

I had 2 new medical collection hit my EQ report yesterday, and will be hitting EX and TU soon I'm sure. Hopefully they are the last "surprise" medical collections from my illness last year that will hit my reports. Going to have to garden for a while now. Can't afford to PFD because of the amounts, so I'm going to have to just let them sit there for a while.

Ahhhh, the credit journey, tis can be a heart breaker sometimes.

See if you qualify for charity care with the OC

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.