Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gotta start somewhere

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotta start somewhere

Typical dumb college kid mistakes have landed me into a rather unfortunate position, but I have started my journey back and will be reading over these forums like crazy to help along the way!

Negative:

- Got a $800 limit card and maxed it out and let it go to collections about 3 or 4 years ago.

- Also fell behind on student loan payments and havent paid those in a while.

Positive:

- Just got a new job making good money.

- Paid off my closed credit card in full.

- Applied for a repayment plan for student loans to lower my payment to something doable.

- Just got approved for a Discover IT Secured Card to rebuild my credit.

I think when I got my score pulled last (maybe like October of last year) at a car dealership it was like 495....Smiley Sad

So I have a long road ahead of me, but it can be done Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gotta start somewhere

Go to credit check total and pull your credit report. You can sign up for a $1 for the first week. When you call to cancel within that week (I called 5 minutes after signing up) they'll offer to lower the monthly monitoring fee from $30 to $15.

You need to know what EXACLTY your scores are and what EXACTLY is reporting to each credit bureau. Come back and let us know what you find out and we'll set you on the right path.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

pulled from CreditKarma:

TU: 475

Equifax: 415

Only thing that I have reporting badly on my account is my student loans which will be fixed soon. Also Wells Fargo hasnt reported my second payment on my credit card that paid it off so my credit utilization is at 56%. Also my Discover card hasnt hit yet so hopefully when all of that hits it should go up and once I get my student loans under control and start paying and start using my new Discover card my score should start to rise!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

pulled from CreditKarma:

TU: 475

Equifax: 415

Only thing that I have reporting badly on my account is my student loans which will be fixed soon. Also Wells Fargo hasnt reported my second payment on my credit card that paid it off so my credit utilization is at 56%. Also my Discover card hasnt hit yet so hopefully when all of that hits it should go up and once I get my student loans under control and start paying and start using my new Discover card my score should start to rise!

Just know that Credit Karma is only good for reviewing your reports - the scores are not FICO scores - they are Vantage scores.  In this forum they will call them FAKO scores.  Sure they can give you a trend line - but they aren't the scores the majority of lenders use to make lending decisions.   You'll want to get the real scores from Credit Check Total or MyFico or something.   Credit Check Total is good because you can sign up and get all three scores for $1 - cancel and in a few months do it again for another $1 if you don't want to pay for continual monitoring.    At least you'd get FICO 8 scores to start and know how they compare to your Credit Karma scores.   Also - you probably can get your FICO 8 score off your Discover card every month.    But that is only ONE bureau - not all three.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ill do the Credit Check Total tonight and report back to compare them to the CK ones. Also yeah once I get my Discover card my FICO will be on that so I can start tracking with that and like you said use the credit check total every once in a while! Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian: 478

TransUnion: 608

EquiFax: 525

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.