Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Government Collection of Student Account Reported

tag
emily15
Regular Contributor

Government Collection of Student Account Reported

Hi everyone. 

Earlier this year I received a letter from the U.S Board of Education about an overpayment that I owed from my previous school (that i didnt know about) that had been turned over to the government.

I immediately called and paid what I owed and asked if this information would be reported to my credit. They told me since I was paying it no information would be reported.

Fast forward to this week when I checked my report: 

Account Details

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Government Collection of Student Account Reported

You dont appear to have an inaccuracy in what they reported.

The assertion is apparently that they are bound by their statement that they would not report,

In my opinionm, you have no inaccuracy in their reporting upon which to base a dispute,

Since you paid the debt without prior reliance on a promise not to report, I see no contract term that was breached upon your payment.

A dispute would, in my opinion, not prevail, and in fact might be counter-productive.

Your normal path at this point would be to request their good-will deletion.  A dispute would most likely not foster their good-will.

Message 2 of 6
emily15
Regular Contributor

Thank you for your reply!

I will try a GW deletion.

Is this information being reported having a harmful effect if any on my credit?

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Student loan assigned to government is the only derog I see associated with this TL. I would GW them and ask those comments be removed, it cant hurt you anymore since its reported recently as far as Fico score.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 4 of 6
emily15
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 Old post but I had a question .. who should I send the GW letter to asking for those comments to be removed?

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You have to send them to the entity who is reporting them in this case the US Dept of Educations Credit Bureau reporting unit.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.