Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grab bag of baddies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grab bag of baddies

I have a few credit cards that I paid in full and closed in 2004, 2005 and 2006. They show as derrogatory accounts on my report. No late payments on any. All says pays/paid as agreed.  One of them I closed as soon as I received it because the terms promised were not the terms applied, so I never even used it - just simply activated the card and then read the disclosures and then called and canceled it immediately. The other 2 are cards that I used for a few years and just decided I didn't want credit cards. These are all Capital One cards.

I have a huge problem with 9 medical bills that are court ordered as my ex's responsibility, but I cannot get them off my report to save my life. I have submitted the court order to OC as well as CA. After disputing with CRAs, CA has removed a few of them from one report, but then placed them onto another. Removed and then replaced a few months later onto the same report, and will not remove at all on the 3rd report. It is so frustrating. Some were added in the past year. Also had to fight to get ex's current address & phone number removed from one of the reports because it got added to my info some how after I submitted the court order to CA, which caused me to have to go through a bunch of id verification in order to even be able to get my reports at one point.

I also have an auto loan from my credit union that was paid off in 2010 with one 30 day late and that shows on my derogatory as well. It is still listed as an open account.

Last one is a Merrick Bank card that they re-aged when I disputed in 2013 (for being outdated) and it now shows as set to be removed in 2020!! Woman Mad I cant dispute again because CRAs state it was verified already during last dispute. They have different dates listed on all 3 reports for last pmt date, amount owed and date of 1st deliquency.

On the bright side, I have another auto loan with my credit union paid in full as of 2013 with no lates, as well as my student loans. Of course the bad outweighs the good and I have no other lines.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Grab bag of baddies

As for the debts that were incurred jointly with the ex, creditors dont care and are not bound by responsibility for paying joint debts that are set forth in a marital separation agreement or divorce decree.  If the ex fails to abide by their reponsibility, you may have civil aciton against them under your divorce decree, but the creditors will continue to hold both parites responsible.

For the open loan that is paid, dont dispute.  Place an informal call to them and remind them of their responsibility per FCRA 623(a)(2) to have promplty updated their reporting to maintain its current accuracy.

AS for a new dispute, if you are either disputing information not previously disputed, or provide additional information in support of a prior dispute, it is not frivolous or irrelevant.  I am not sure what information was specifically disputed in your first dispute.  Each dispute relates only to the information identified therein as inaccurate.

If discrepancies are shown in reporting of the same exact information with each CRA, you can use that as support for a new dispute if not specifically used before.

Since a furnisher is required to have promptly updated their prior reporting so as to maintain its current accuracy (section 623(a)(2)), discrepancy in current reporting between different CRAs is prima facie showing that at least one is currently inaccurate.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply.

The medical bills are for the children. He was court ordered to provide 100% medical coverage. Nothing in regards to this in a divorce decree. None of these bills are on his report. He gets the checks from the insurance company, no bills. Bills go to me since the kids live with me, even though the dr and hospital know I am not the insurance policy holder.  They do know the checks go to the policy holder as well, because they are notified by Cap Blue Cross.  My only recourse is to file papers with our Domestic Relations office and the amounts would be added to his arrears which are already at $20k, so I am never going to see that money anyway. It is just frustrating because I should not have to pay it when he is court ordered to do so AND he gets the checks that are supposed to pay the bills .. so, free money for him. Yay.

I can't even afford to pay them. Some are emergency room visits, which come as 3 separate bills for each visit and are hundreds each.

Is it nomal for the cards I paid off and closed to be listed under derogatory even though there were never any late payments etc? One goes back to 2002. The other 2 were both closed in 2005. Ive had other cards that were paid and closed and they never hung around this long, including cards from the same company as these 3.

I wil try to call the CRAs in regards to  Merrick reporting differently on each report. I can't get it to let me dispute at all online, no matter what reason I chose. The original dispute was in reference to dates because the debt was outdated and should have no longer been reported. When I disputed it then, they changed the dates and made the last payment  2013, when it was actually  2006 and then threw in a slew of 30, 60, 120s. Date of first major deliquency states unkown and on at least one report, it shows a payment one month and then the following month shows a 90 day late, which is ridiculous for obvious reasons, and then like a year of "ok" payments after that. It is just a mess and it is mind boggling that someone at the CRA can't see that clearly something is out of whack - especially when they changed the payment date to the same month and year as the dispute when there has been no activity at all for years prior, and now suddenly there's all kinds. It also shows as using 127% of available credit and that hurts big time.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Find out if the medical providers can bill the insurance directly - personally I've never had a medical insurance company send me a check, its always gone directly to the provider....

As for Merrick, forget the CRA's, they are worthless here. Once the first dispute is done, you pretty much have to go back to whoever is reporting the information. In this case, Merrick Bank. You need to do a 623 Direct Dispute with them, and if they do not correct their reporting you have cause to take them to court. You may have to draft an ITS letter outlining how they have illegally re-aged the debt, and knowingly reported incorrectly. Under FDCPA they are subject to a $1000 fine for each violation they have committed payable directly to you.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the emergency room visits, they don't bill directly. I was told it is because some Drs are contracted and some aren't. So if you go in and get a Dr that isn't contracted, the insurance still pays 100% of the services & fees, but it won't bill directly and the check for services goes to the policy holder. Certain Dr visits/procedures were the same way. It seemed like just pure luck on getting any of them removed. A few were removed, but many remained or were added again after being removed. They are all with the same local CA, so it didn't really make sense that they would remove some, but not all. I guess it depended on the mood of the person who handled the issue each time.

I will look for info on the 623 dispute and get that done. Thank you for that info.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.