Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great Lakes Late Payments

tag
thomasjm99
Regular Contributor

Great Lakes Late Payments

So I have been attempting to get some late payments with Great Lakes last year/this year cleared up. They initially reported because of a forbearance issue (long story, won't go into it...)  So I have been attempting to GW the lates off my report as some folks have had success with that. So far I have been getting the standard response about accurate reporting, yada yada...  

Then today while reviewing my file I noticed something odd...  My payment history goes from reporting OK/Good to immediately reporting a 90 Day Late the next month. Is that even possible? If it's not accurate (clearly) should I simply file a direct dispute with the CRA's, or would it be best to continue my campaign with Great Lakes directly in hopes they will remove the lates completely?  I have to assume a 90/120 day is far worse than a 30 day late, yes?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Re: Great Lakes Late Payments

@thomasjm99 wrote:

So I have been attempting to get some late payments with Great Lakes last year/this year cleared up. They initially reported because of a forbearance issue (long story, won't go into it...)  So I have been attempting to GW the lates off my report as some folks have had success with that. So far I have been getting the standard response about accurate reporting, yada yada...  

Then today while reviewing my file I noticed something odd...  My payment history goes from reporting OK/Good to immediately reporting a 90 Day Late the next month. Is that even possible? If it's not accurate (clearly) should I simply file a direct dispute with the CRA's, or would it be best to continue my campaign with Great Lakes directly in hopes they will remove the lates completely?  I have to assume a 90/120 day is far worse than a 30 day late, yes?

Thanks!!

This occurs because sometimes the creditor doesn't report 30 and 60 day lates and will only report an account delinquent after the 60 day mark. If you dispute it, many times it is shooting yourself in the foot because they will then correct the reporting to also show the 30 and 60 day lates in addition to the 90 and 120. So be really careful. If you dispute it, make sure you have documentation showing that the lateness is incorrect.

They are actually cutting you a break by reporting it this way - instead of a 30, 60, 90, and 120 day late, you only get the 90 and 120. And yes, a 90 and 120 day late is much worse than 30 and 60. They hurt you for the entire time they're on your credit report. I would continue GW efforts and/or dispute it if you have documented proof that it is wrong.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Great Lakes Late Payments

Stated differently, a creditor has no requirment to report each and every possible derog.

The statutory requirment (FCRA 623(a)(2)) is that what they do report cannot knowingly be inaccurate, not that they must report all derogs in order to "report accurately."

There is no basis for dispute unless the account was not acutally 90--late for the month reported.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.