Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow Financial - Serious Help Please

tag
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

Grow Financial - Serious Help Please

In August 2013, my score hovered around 715.

Less than 2 years past a BK due to GM (story is on here someplace) and I was saving for a house.

Enter Grow Financial.

Moved to FL.  Had $22k cashier's check from a credit union in former state.  Certified funds :smileyhappy:

Grow said fees to open were $25.  Then waived that after I signed.  Then said they were putting a hold on the certified fund check from another credit union (BOTH are NCUA).

I asked how long the hold would be in place because I needed to clear my first month's rent check ($2200).  Grow director said that'd be no problem, she'd clear enough to cover the check.

Rent check bounced.  Got charged $50 extra because of bounce.  I asked Grow to write a letter stating it was their mistake;

Grow refused and said the funds were earmarked as available that the mistake was on the apartment complex's side.

It was not.  BUT the $50 got refunded to me by the apt complex... (it was Grow's mistake; clearly seen when I got a transcript of my available and statement of account - director never made my funds available)

Grow was given lengthy dissertation on my former role as VP of Internal Audit, blah blah blah blah blah lemon vehicle blah blah blah GM bankruptcy blah blah blah ... and I was denied a home mortgage, 4 years post bk, 3 years post foreclosure with $20,000 down and income and excellent post - bk credit.

Grow gave me $2000 signature loan "to get to know me" ... paid on time, every time.

Son's father was gravely ill.  Son had never met father.  Took rent money to drive 3600 miles so son could meet father.  Rent was paid late but that pushed me into Christmas, and then Jan was looking a little bit off too.

Asked Grow to redo the $2000 sig loan that had been paid down to???  $1500 so that I could cover the difference between cash on hand and rent.

Grow told me to prove:

1)  my son's father died

2)  that he was my son's father

3)  that we really drove to that location

4)  that they'd never met (I #$#@ you not)

5)  receipts from trip

6) actual mileage

7)  death certificate

I did all that.

Then they denied me the redo on loan.

I'm a rent-an-exec.  I had no contract for March.  I was running behind in payments by about 10 days.  I asked if they could let me skip a payment to get things caught up.

Grow said to take a strong stick, shove it somewhere, and twirl around on it for fun.

I stayed caught up.  I kept current.

In August, I received a phone call while in a distant location stating my payment was 25 days past due.  I said can't be true, must be a mistake as I'd just paid 2 weeks earlier.

She said I had, but the teller did not tell me there was a balance due in July which was now 25 days past due.  I said how much.  $40.  I paid $45.  Asked teller if I was current.

"Yes, you just owe for August."

August payment went in for $100 (I owe $93).  Am I current?  

I had forgotten to bring my glasses and driver's license since I was paying in person to the branch I always go to.  It was cash. I knew my member ID # so I was unconcerned. 

She gave me a receipt and I asked if it showed the balance and she said no because I did not have proof of who I was she could not provide that number.  I asked her again, but you did apply it to my loan, right?

She said yes.  I said I am current now, right?  Again, she said yes. 

I looked at the receipt later and it showed Grow's branch address, date, time and nothing else.  I was unconcerned because it made sense given I had no ID with me.

I received a phone call informing me I was late in September 2013.  I said, yes, 6 days late, it'll be paid on Friday when I'm back in town.

She said no, 36 days past due.

The cash payment?  Never recorded. 

I freaked.  I fainted on the floor.  I wrote a 6 page letter to CEO, SVP/CFO, and SVP LP telling them exactly what had transpired.  CRRR.

Nothing.

I paid the payment, and October and in November when I still got no response, I talked to the branch manager who acknowledged he'd seen the letter as it was sent down to him by the executives. 

I described the teller.  He acknowledged he knew exactly who she was and assured me that he'd look into it and get it appropriately recorded and trued up.

No word.

My dad became gravely ill and I was told by Mayo to come for MN to help my father pass.  I went prepared for a funeral.  Shorts and flip-flops on the drive and funeral clothes.  (He lived, miraculously, he lived)

While in MN, I approached my regular CU for a loan to help with all the costs I was incurring with my traveling.  CU said no issue.  I'd never missed one payment on anything with them - ever.  I had money in my account.

The CU senior lender called me.

"Grow has taken your score to a 519.  Why are you so far late with them?  Did you know?"

I had a copy of the letter sent CRRR with me.  I showed the lender.  She was shocked.

"Hope, you have not missed a payment with anything since the BK... it's perfect!  Except for Grow."

She then explained that the NCUA will do nothing.  And she borrowed me the money (and I'm not late).

And I paid Grow when I returned.  And I paid them in January.  And I paid them in Feb.  And I paid them in March...

So, I called an atty and he said to file a police report.  Called the PD, they don't want to get involved saying it's a civil matter.  CIVIL??? Criminal when someone steals the cash and MY credit is destroyed.

The PD very reluctantly agreed to meet with me.  Apparently, lots of people in FL claim they did something which is a bald faced lie and so many/most people don't believe the word of someone.  I get it, I'm not those people.

I told him I don't care if they investigate my claim of embezzlement or not, I just need the PD report # to send one final letter to Grow executives requesting a true-up of the account and a deletion of all derogs on my credit, before I file a formal letter with the CRA's disputing the lates and file a claim in court for violations of FCRA against Grow.

Had Grow investigated in September 2013, this would be a done deal - they would have been able to view the tapes (they record everything via camera) and the teller's receipts.

I'm beyond pissed.  I do everything to pay my stuff in full, and on time.  In the case of loans like Grow's I pay over the amount due even if only $5.  I was in the proces of buying a home and that is shot. 

And to top it off?  The "killer" in the mail?  My credit is so crappy, I got a Fingerhut mailer!Smiley Mad

ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
cgussio
New Contributor

Re: Grow Financial - Serious Help Please

Wow. I don't have any suggestion but I am beyond sorry that you are going through this. I really think you are on the best track wtih the police report, attorney. The fact that you were able to be that articulate, even online has me incredibly impressed. I'm fairly certain this situation would have turned me into an enraged blithering crazy person.

Message 2 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

File complaints with the FTC, BBB, and their regulator (you can file at the CFPB and they will fwd to the appropriate regulator). A consumer attorney may be worth talking to as well on the violations and what possible recovery you have against Grow.

Message 3 of 16
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the support.  

I'd be lying if I did not say I was beyond angry... I am.  I'd also be lying if I said that what has transpired with Grow has caused numerous nights of no sleep, considerable time spent running the pavement.

Beyond stressed and angry.

I'd also be lying if I did not tell you I posted a good portion of this post on another thread in Sept 2013.  I just copied and pasted that portion and edited to contain the latest updates to the saga.

And I'm crushed.  Just crushed.  

Message 4 of 16
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

File complaints with the FTC, BBB, and their regulator (you can file at the CFPB and they will fwd to the appropriate regulator). A consumer attorney may be worth talking to as well on the violations and what possible recovery you have against Grow.

Great ideas!! I had not thought about the FTC and BBB (NCUA is worthless for this and I believe that's their regulator).  Will also check the CFPB... thank you!

What about their external auditors?  And their Board of Directors?

Message 5 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Hopelives2 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Great ideas!! I had not thought about the FTC and BBB (NCUA is worthless for this and I believe that's their regulator).  Will also check the CFPB... thank you!

The auditors are not likely to know or be able to do anything. The board would be a place to complain to in fact I would recommend it prior to other remidies that may be available as you need to show you tried to settle it with the entity first... Since there is theft and/or misappropriation of funds involved here you might add the State AGs office to the list to complain to when the time comes.

Message 6 of 16
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Hopelives2 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

The auditors are not likely to know or be able to do anything. The board would be a place to complain to in fact I would recommend it prior to other remidies that may be available as you need to show you tried to settle it with the entity first... Since there is theft and/or misappropriation of funds involved here you might add the State AGs office to the list to complain to when the time comes.

Wow - thank you!  Had not considered the AG office.  I will do that as well.  I AM trying to resolve this prior to court.  I just want the issue fixed and a true-up of what I really owe so I can pay it off and be done with them.

Message 7 of 16
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

UPDATE:

Since I last posted, I have done the following:

1)  Written an affidavit regarding the transaction that happened on August 24, 2013.

2)  Obtained my balance and withdrawal of $1,200 on August 24, 2013 from Chase bank at 9:55 AM.

3)  Filed the information and documents with the sheriff's office obtaining a police report #

4)  Written a CRRR letter to CEO, CFO, SVP - Loss Prevention reiterating timeline, amounts, and including police report # and demanding the following:

a)  removal of all derogatory remarks on the Grow account

b)  removal of all late fees from the loan

c)  a true-up of the account and current balance

d)  response that above has been done no later than 5/15/14

Of course, there was no response other than the signed cards from Grow.

Next step, will send all that documentation to the CRA's tomorrow CRRR.

Then, sue under FCRA? 

I'm within 2 months of paying this sucker off and need to know true-up balance so I can PIF and be done.

Is there anything else I need to do???

When I file FCRA lawsuit, which presumably I will have to do, which court?  district?

Don't ask if I'm angry.... I'm seething.Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 16
SSPA87
Regular Contributor

Oh my gosh!  No advice, but I will be following this to see if you can get it all straightened out (I hope you can!!!).  I can't believe how they are being in regards to all of this. 

Starting Scores: EQ (MyFico): 561 TU (MyFico): 579 - 2/15/13
Rebuilding Scores: EQ (MyFico): 597 (6/11/13) TU (MyFico): 606 (6/12/13)
Current Scores: EQ : 665 TU : 649 EX : 704

Cards: SDFCU $250 | Cap1 Secured $750 | Victorias Secret $500 | Amex BCE $4k | Chase FU $2k | Cap1 QS $1k | PenFed Promise $3.5k | Wayfair $1k | Care Credit $1k
Message 9 of 16
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

Smiley Mad

Okay, so before I filed the court papers to sue under FCRA, I found a board director who works for my current client.  I called him and asked if he'd meet with me and if he could help.

He said he had a meeting later that week and would find someone to help straighten this out.  In his words: "This is utterly ridiculous over $100."

I agree Smiley Happy

To date: nothing.

Seriously.  N o t h i n g.  Smiley Mad

So, I'm sending dispute letters to the CRA's saying I dispute the lates and attach all the letters I've sent, including the return receipts.

I'm also sending this to the AG and to the BBB.  

I don't know what else to do....

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.