Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grrrrr

tag
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Grrrrr

So mad!!!! 

Yesterday I cashed a check because the place I was at was going to charge $5.99 fee to use their ATM machine.  That on top of the $2.50 fee my bank charges I thought I would cash a check which had no service charge.

What is worse than no service charge?  A HARD PULL on Equifax!!!  Darn it!!!  I did not authorize that.  This pisses me off!  I lost 2 points!  The two points is not that big of a deal but the hard pull is.  Damn them.

(Oh, it was certigy if anyone is wondering)

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
RTOrockstar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Grrrrr

Yea, that's a pisser!

Message 2 of 16
deadbishop
Regular Contributor

Certigy? Never heard of them. So I understand this correctly, you went to a place called certigy to cash a check from your checking account and they cashed it and also pulled your credit ?
Did you sign anything that may have said by cashing your check you agree to us pulling your credit ?
Bankrupcy 7 Filed 2/20/2012
Discharged 6/18/2012
FICO as of 7/6/2012
TU 630 Classic (04)
EQ 641 FACTA Beacon 5.0
EX 607 Fair Isaac (ver. 2)

Message 3 of 16
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

No, I went to their customer service counter and asked if I could cash a check.  She asked if I had cashed one with them before and I said no. She said no problem.  Asked for ID - like any place would.  And than said I could write one up to $600. I told her I only wanted to write it for $100.  She gave me the $100 and had me sign a little paper saying I authroized them to send it through electronically and gave me my check back.

Yesterday I get a Score Alert for an inquiry.  It was from Certigy.  They are a check recovery agency that businesses turn your check over to if the bank sends it back.  I think a couple grocery stores and department stores around here use them if you were to write a bad check.  All I can figure out is that I must not have been in their system yet as I always use my debit card for purchases.  I probably only write 4 to 6 checks a year.

I only had one other hard inquiry on Equifax so it isn't like it is a huge deal.  But I am applying for a mortgage next month and didn't want anymore on them.  It is explainable - I think. 

I don't understand how FICO can take away points for hard hits when everyone wants to check your report.  It would be real easy to rack up 20 in a year without really applying for new credit.  Think about it. Search for an apartment or rental, hard hit.  Sign up for electric, gas, water, telephone service you take another 4 hits.  Apply for a job get another hit. Buy car insurance - take another hit. Write a check - take another hit.  The reasons for a hard hit outside of applying for credit keeps adding up.

CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
Message 4 of 16
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Cashing a check shouldn't get you a hp I would be livid . I have never gotten a hard pull for gas ,water , or electric I always just pay whatever deposit they want so there is no hard pull.My job only does a sp and I have never gotten one for car insurance. I would never take a hard pull to write a check .
Message 5 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I don't think they can do a HP either.  They did NOT extend credit to you, they cashed your check.  I woud fight that.  Talk to their customer service and ask them to show you where you gave them authorization to check your credit and where in the FCRA it says they have authority in the first place.

Message 6 of 16
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I don't think they can do a HP either.  They did NOT extend credit to you, they cashed your check.  I woud fight that.  Talk to their customer service and ask them to show you where you gave them authorization to check your credit and where in the FCRA it says they have authority in the first place.

I think I am going to dispute it.  I think I would have rather paid the ATM fee than get hit with a HP.  I am saving all my inquires until after I close on my house.  I wanted to basically have near zero on all my reports. I am glad they pulled EQ as I only had one on their.  Whereas EX and TU each have 2. Most of my INQwill fall off in May.  No credit was asked for or issued.  I simple wrote a check for $100.  Darn them!!!

My interenet provider (Quest), natural gas provider (Black Hills Energy) and car insurance (Travelers) have all pulled my credit report.  Likewise, my part time job (security clearance to go into prisons) pulled my report.  All of them where hard pulls.

Message 7 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 16
starry1
Valued Contributor

Certegy is the devil. I would fight that inq hard in your shoes. I can't think how they could have pp for that pull.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 9 of 16
deadbishop
Regular Contributor

+1 starry1 and guiness56
I would call them and ask to see the pp you singed. Then when they can't show it demand they remove it now.
Bankrupcy 7 Filed 2/20/2012
Discharged 6/18/2012
FICO as of 7/6/2012
TU 630 Classic (04)
EQ 641 FACTA Beacon 5.0
EX 607 Fair Isaac (ver. 2)

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.