Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grrrrr

tag
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Re: Grrrrr

+1 why would thry need a credit check for that anyways its none of thier business.
Message 11 of 16
deadbishop
Regular Contributor

Well I think it's because a person with low credit may be more of a risk to write a rubber check.
Bankrupcy 7 Filed 2/20/2012
Discharged 6/18/2012
FICO as of 7/6/2012
TU 630 Classic (04)
EQ 641 FACTA Beacon 5.0
EX 607 Fair Isaac (ver. 2)

Message 12 of 16
elleng81
Contributor

The same thing happened to me when I went to cash a check at the Money Center in Wal-Mart a few months back. I had never cashed a check there. I was shocked to see a hard pull... and it showed up as a 'check cashing service'... I never thought of disputing it...
Message 13 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I am even more bewildered now.  I did some research and found out the Certegy is a Specialty Consumer Reporting Agency. They are  a check risk management company that provides verification, guarantee and risk analytics to thousands of businesses that choose to accept checks as a form of payment for goods or services. “ In other words, merchants use their service to help them decide whether to accept individual checks. 

They are like Chexsytems and Telecheck.

This is from their website:

Certegy Check Services, Inc. ("Certegy") provides check authorization and guarantee services to merchants and businesses nationwide. Certegy is a "nationwide specialty consumer reporting agency" governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). You have the right under the FCRA to know the information contained in your file at Certegy. You also have the right to a free copy of your check transactions file from Certegy if you request it within 60 days of the date your check was declined. In addition, if you find that any information contained in the file from Certegy is inaccurate or incomplete, you have the right to dispute it with Certegy.

I find it difficult to believe they really need to check your credit or have the authority to do so.

Message 14 of 16
lesse
Frequent Contributor

Wowww sorry to hear that !def dispute that
START (FICO): 1/28/2013 EQ: 499 EX: 558 TU: 536
Lender Pull:
UPDATED SCORE 10/2015: EX: 763 TU: 709 EQ: 720

GOAL 800 Across the board
Wallet:Credit One $600; NFCU (secured- Changed to unsecured) $7500; NFCU (Unsecured)$500- increase to $12,500 BOA: $1000 Home Depot/Lowes $800 each Childrens Place $350 Sams Club $800
Garden Time Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Taken from their own website.

Is the decision provided by Certegy based on my credit score?

No, your credit score is not a factor in our risk models or any decision provided to merchants. Decisions are made based on information in Certegy's check writer database and a statistical analysis of your check compared to all checks that have gone through our system.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.