Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance in what I should do. Please!

tag
Germz

Guidance in what I should do. Please!

Hello All, 

Im new to this site and find alot of your information very helpful. I have however run into a bit of an odd predicament. I would like your help in knowing what my next step should be or what I should do. Thanks in advance.

About 3 years ago I was getting heckled and harassed by a Collections Agency. They contacted me and I told them I didnt know what they were talking about.  I was getting called at work, home, fiancee, fiancee's work, fiancee's family, my parents. EVERYONE WAS GETTING CALLED AT ALL TIMES OF DAY. It went on for the greater portion of 3 months until, they called my employer and my manager answered the phone and leading for her to call me in and just speak with me as a concearned friend. I was MORTIFIED! I called them right up that night and told them I would pay just to get them to stop calling and embarassing me at all times of day. I also told them I didnt own this account but the calls were coming non stop. I had to end them. I set up a $50 per month payment with them. It has been coming out ever since. I for the first time just looked at my credit report in depth and sat down with someone to help me break it down. I am 27 years old and should have been more responsible in looking at it. I noticed there was a Citibank account charged off on my Experian report for about $5,000 dollars. I dont have nor have I had an account with them. My father and I own the same name (no middle initial) lived at the same adress for a long time, and have had information crossed before (car insurance, taxes, etc.). This makes no sense since we have different social security numbers but it still happens. My father declared for bankruptcy several years ago and I believe this is his dept. I am however scared that I will now get stuck with this on my report or have to pay the rest of this off, since I started a $50 payment plan per month with the Collection Agency several years ago. The debt is NOT mine. Once again I made the payment plan to stop the calls which were embarassing and I didnt know what to do. 

Can anyone assist me in what I should do?

Should I send a DV? Will this help me since it has literally been so long since the first contact by them? Im totally lost. Thanks again for anyones help.

Starting Score: EX: 602, EQ: 610, TU 598 (08/27/2013)
Current Score: EX: 659, EQ: 696, TU: 665 (09/10/2013)
Fico: 667
Goal Score: 750
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Germz

Re: Guidance in what I should do. Please!

Any ideas?

Should I just stop paying the Collection Agency? Will they report that on my CR? I mean it was dumb for me to pay for something that isnt mine, it was just a way to end the madness without me knowing what i know now. Do they have the power to remove the original incorrect hit against my credit if i pay them?

Like i said, ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Starting Score: EX: 602, EQ: 610, TU 598 (08/27/2013)
Current Score: EX: 659, EQ: 696, TU: 665 (09/10/2013)
Fico: 667
Goal Score: 750
Message 2 of 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Guidance in what I should do. Please!

This thread is locked to direct posters here.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Can-Collection-Agency-report-to-Credit-Bureau...

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.