Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance on Beginning Credit Repair/Rebuilding Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guidance on Beginning Credit Repair/Rebuilding Credit

Hi All, 

I'm hoping to gain some insight from all of you who have had experience in rebuilding your credit. Prior to a bad experience with my Bank of America mortgage, I had spotless credit. Unfortunately, beginning in April 2010 (loan originated in 2009) BofA kept increasing my fixed rate mortgage monthly payment. What started at approx $1,000/month quickly jumped to $1800/month. Over the course of a few months, I was up over $2,000 for my monthly payment being requested by them. Everytime I would call, I couldn't get any explanation. This went on until August 2012. During the course of time, they would also randomly send me letters saying I owed $4,000 or $3,000, etc. I would pay that and then be told they couldn't find where I had paid that money. They would say I owed it from being "late" when the payments had come from my bank account. Finally, after fighting tooth and nail, I was able to make progress and find out that they had miscalculated the taxes originally in my escrow account and because of some CRAZY reason they couldn't figure that out on their end. Needless to say over the course of about two years, my monthly payment more than doubled and caused me to get behind on other bills. Thankfully my mortgage was sold to another company in 2013 and I have had no problems since. Now the down side, it's severely damaged my credit. Prior to this, my score was 780. Now my score is in the 500s. How would you approach rebuilding your credit in this situation? I didn't know if a GW letter would work since we didn't necessarily end on a good note and the fact that the entire time the mistakes were theirs and I wouldn't know how to word that without sounding like I'm accusing them. Any thoughts appreciated, but I'll indicate below how things are showing now. Several personal friends have suggested trying United Credit Educations Services, but I didn't know if it was something I could just do on my own (rather than paying them $500). I just need the BofA and Citi (late paid during the BofA mess) to be better off and some random medical collections I've never even seen or heard of before taken care of. 

--- (unaware until today) Medical collection, 04/2012 - $390

--- (unaware until today) Medical collection, 07/2013 - $146

--- BofA, last reported 05/2013, 11 w/ 30 days late between April 2010 & Aug 2012, 10 w/60 days late between Jun 2010 & June 2012, all others OK

--- (unaware until today ) Medical collection, 12/2010 - $35

--- Citi (during BofA problem) 1 w/ 30 days late, 2 w/ 60 days late, 8 w/ 90 days late all in 2012

--- (unaware until today) Medical collection, 07/2013 - $50

Thanks in advance for any insight or advance you can give on where to begin! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Guidance on Beginning Credit Repair/Rebuilding Credit

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All, 

I'm hoping to gain some insight from all of you who have had experience in rebuilding your credit. Prior to a bad experience with my Bank of America mortgage, I had spotless credit. Unfortunately, beginning in April 2010 (loan originated in 2009) BofA kept increasing my fixed rate mortgage monthly payment. What started at approx $1,000/month quickly jumped to $1800/month. Over the course of a few months, I was up over $2,000 for my monthly payment being requested by them. Everytime I would call, I couldn't get any explanation. This went on until August 2012. During the course of time, they would also randomly send me letters saying I owed $4,000 or $3,000, etc. I would pay that and then be told they couldn't find where I had paid that money. They would say I owed it from being "late" when the payments had come from my bank account. Finally, after fighting tooth and nail, I was able to make progress and find out that they had miscalculated the taxes originally in my escrow account and because of some CRAZY reason they couldn't figure that out on their end. Needless to say over the course of about two years, my monthly payment more than doubled and caused me to get behind on other bills. Thankfully my mortgage was sold to another company in 2013 and I have had no problems since. Now the down side, it's severely damaged my credit. Prior to this, my score was 780. Now my score is in the 500s. How would you approach rebuilding your credit in this situation? I didn't know if a GW letter would work since we didn't necessarily end on a good note and the fact that the entire time the mistakes were theirs and I wouldn't know how to word that without sounding like I'm accusing them. Any thoughts appreciated, but I'll indicate below how things are showing now. Several personal friends have suggested trying United Credit Educations Services, but I didn't know if it was something I could just do on my own (rather than paying them $500). I just need the BofA and Citi (late paid during the BofA mess) to be better off and some random medical collections I've never even seen or heard of before taken care of. 

--- (unaware until today) Medical collection, 04/2012 - $390

--- (unaware until today) Medical collection, 07/2013 - $146

--- BofA, last reported 05/2013, 11 w/ 30 days late between April 2010 & Aug 2012, 10 w/60 days late between Jun 2010 & June 2012, all others OK

--- (unaware until today ) Medical collection, 12/2010 - $35

--- Citi (during BofA problem) 1 w/ 30 days late, 2 w/ 60 days late, 8 w/ 90 days late all in 2012

--- (unaware until today) Medical collection, 07/2013 - $50

Thanks in advance for any insight or advance you can give on where to begin! 

I would suggest you consult a lawyer about suing BoA for what they did, a fixed rate loan does not have increasing payments they are fixed at the same amount over the life of the loan...... The medicals if they are yours I suggest you Google the HIPAA Process and use that we cant discuss it on this board.,  If they are not you will need to follow the ID Theft guidance here   http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect-Yourself/td-p/2059499

On the citi lates you will need to start a campaign of GW letters to their Exec Office and continue them at one a month till you get what you want. welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Guidance on Beginning Credit Repair/Rebuilding Credit

Thank you, gdale6. I will definitely start drafting the GW letters to Citi and look into the HIPAA thing. Unfortunately, with the BoA thing, I've tried hiring an attorney in the past, but the road block we ran into is that once BoA found out that they screwed up, they've made adjustments in their system to actually look as if I didn't pay the right amount on time. I think my best bet at this point is going to be to dig up all of my old statements they sent me, match them up to my payment records and go from there. I can recall where they actually sent me 3 seperate statements in one month and where the statement online didn't match the statement they mailed me by a difference of about $300. I'm thinking that's going to be the best route now. Thanks again for your guidance! 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.