Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gurus... Please help with CA problem

tag
lost22
New Contributor

Gurus... Please help with CA problem

Hi guys! I'm trying to get a mortgage and there's two big baddies on my CR. the loan officer recommended taking care of one by settling. I tried calling them yesterday and spoke to the rudest person ever. I explained I've sent several DV letters and never received a response and I've disputed w the CB and they just validate. I tried to settle with them and they refused. She tried to get me to pay the whole amount or make payments. I said I was trying to settle with them to get my credit cleaned up but I do not believe this debt is mine. She then asked me what I was applying for. I said that doesn't concern you. Her response? Well that's fine, I'll pull all three cr for both you and your husband and I'll look for myself. I told her this was against the fcra as they are a debt collector and I'm not applying for credit. She said "I can pull all three every day if I want to". So I told her I would contact an attorney and she said great. Have a good day. Today I get the alert that they hard pulled all three bureaus for both myself and my husband. Isn't that illegal? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Gurus... Please help with CA problem

Because it was an outright threat because you wouldn't tell her what you were applying for, no, that is not legal, it is harassment and coercion in trying to get you to pay the full amount or suffer the consequences.

It isn't against the FCRA, they do have PP to do a HP.  It is against the FDCPA for harassment and probably several other sections.  Keep a close eye on your report and see how many times they pull it. 

Do you have her name, or the name she gave you?  I know they don't always use real names.

I would file complaints with the FTC and the CPFB, your state AG and their state AG.  I would also consider consulting with an attorney.

Message 2 of 13
lost22
New Contributor

Guiness... You always come to my rescue! I love youuuu! Hehehehe! (Shhhh, don't tell my husband!). I am in process of filing a complaint with the CFPB, how do I go about filing a complaint with the FTC and state AG, etc.? I was so mad I was literally shaking! And what kind of attorney? She pushed all my wrong buttons... I want heads to roll! 

Message 3 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Lol.

You do the FTC the same way, online.  The AG websites should also let you do them online.  Be very detailed, names, numbers, dates, times, etc.

Consumer attorney I would think.

Message 4 of 13
lost22
New Contributor

Thanks! I'm within SOL, so now I'm worried about that too... All to try and settle with them. I'm pretty sure that was the NASTIEST person I've ever spoken with, and I've come across a few really "special" ones before Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Good luck!

Keep us posted.  Also, keep a very close eye on your CRs.

Hopefully they won't sue you. 

Message 6 of 13
lost22
New Contributor

I have a credit monitoring service so I will definitely keep track of all the alerts. I sure hope not... It's definitely a matter of principle with this one, the original company we "owe" wasn't for borrowed $ or any credit accounts. They were complete scumbags and see they hure the same kind to do their collections. -_- 

Any tips for finding a "good" attorney?

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Contact the bar association for your state and see if they can help.

Lawyer Referral Services in your area.

Word of mouth.

Whoever you choose, make sure they do a free or cheap consultation.  And make sure you click. 

Message 8 of 13
lost22
New Contributor

As always, you rock! Will do first thing Monday... I will keep you guys posted... in the mean time... If any one thinks of anything else= bring it Smiley Tongue

Thanks!!!

Message 9 of 13
lost22
New Contributor

CFPB- Check

States AG-Check

BBB-Check

FTC-Check... 

I don't know why they insist on making things complicated... I called THEM OFFERING TO PAY! Silly CA... Ah.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.