Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H.E.L.P......I'm desperate!!!!!

tag
tamdugg1980
Contributor

H.E.L.P......I'm desperate!!!!!

I don't know what to do, and I don't understand this entry on my credit report.  University of Phoenix is saying I owe them $1500.  Not really sure why as when I was enrolled there, my student loans covered my tuition.  Even now, I am still making payments on the student loans I took out when I was enrolled there, but that is beside the point.  

I recently received a letter from Northland Group offering to settle the account for 50% of the balance.  They sent me a letter with three coupons attached for me to make payments on this account.  

Here is where it get's weird in my opinion, when I check all three CRA's, Northland Group is not listed ANYWHERE!  I see the TL for UoP, but nothing for Northland Group.  I don't know who I should contact regarding this debt, should I contact UoP (OC) or Northland Group (CA)?  

One final thing, UoP is still reporting this debt as current even though the DOLA was 05/2005 is that legal?  It seems to me UoP is trying to keep this record "fresh".  Can anyone advise?  Below is a summary from my credit report.  Something just doesn't seem right with this at all.  Someone, please help!

Status as of: May 2011
Date Opened: Jan. 2005
Date of last activity May 2005
Account Type Open Account
Account holder: Individual
Industry: Misc

Seven year payment history [?]30 days late60 days late90+ days late
0 times
0 times
47 times (Mar 2011, Feb 2011, Jan 2011, Nov 2010, Oct 2010, Sep 2010, Aug 2010, Jul 2010, Jun 2010, May 2010, Apr 2010, Mar 2010, Feb 2010, Jan 2010, Dec 2009, Nov 2009, Oct 2009, Sep 2009, Aug 2009, Jul 2009, Jun 2009, May 2009)
Starting score: (April 2011) 530 - myFICO EQ
Current score: (04/2012) EQ - 608 (myFICO), EX FAKO - 671, TU FAKO - 619

Let's see what happens once they report minus the late payments!!!!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: H.E.L.P......I'm desperate!!!!!

Based on the reporting, I bet UofP still owns the debt, especially if they are reporting a balance. They probably assigned the CA to collect on their behalf. If I had that I would DV the CA (you have 30 days from their initial letter) and I would contact UofP and ask for a breakdown of the 1500 in writing and ask for an agreement if it still looks fuzzy. They'll provide it (assuming you don't have it). If you agree with the debt, then send a PFD to UofP. If you disagree, then negotiate with them and get any settlement offer in writing and include that in a PFD.

Message 2 of 6
tamdugg1980
Contributor

Is it legal for them to say it's CO'd since 2005 and then in 12/2010 show that it was paid as agreed then 01/2011 show it's CO'd and then in 04/2011 show I made a payment even if I did not?

Something about that just does not seem right or fair for that matter.  

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

They do have to report accurately, but the alternative is to ask them to place more lates through this month and you don't want that. An "OK" doesn't mean you made a payment.

Message 4 of 6
tamdugg1980
Contributor

I do not belive they are reporting accurately.  I never made a payment, I never contacted them, I have never been in contact with them.  I even contacted them and asked them to provide information on my account, i.e. balance owed, a breakdown of fees, etc.  and I was told they do not have any information on my account and that information was forwarded to the CA.  I was informed to contact the CA as they have all my information.  When I view my CR, UoP is reporting, but the CA is not.  I am at my wits end because I do not know what to do to clear this up.  I feel like I am getting the run around.  I want to send the CA a DV letter just to see what will happen.  But I'm not sure if that is even the correct thing to do.  Please advise.

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned, send a PFD to the OC and send a DV to the CA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.