Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Capital One is Ruining Me!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP! Capital One is Ruining Me!

Can someone please give me some feedback? I am having issues with Capital One and just submitted a complaint to the FCBA. The complaint reads as follows: 

This complaint is in regards to a charge-off from Capital One. Capital One has been using extremely unfair practices in credit reporting. My charge-off initially started with one account number; for some odd reason the account number was transferred and a new account was created with the same information. So, I actually had 2 accounts dinging me with the same exact information. I had to call Capital One MANY times to figure out what was going on and it took me MONTHS to have the duplicate account removed! Starting in December of 2016 up until January 2018 I had started making payments to Hunt & Henriques Law Firm on my charge-off account every single month. The balance on my account had never went down. My original balance was $3,154. Month after month, I was making payments with no decrease in the balance on my credit report. After some time I had filed a dispute on the account with the credit bureaus becuase the information reporting was incorrect. Capital One came back and reported that the information was correct and met FCRA requirements. Which it did not. Later, they sent me a letter in the mail, which I saved as proof of their unfair practices, that the information that was reported was incorrect and that they had fixed the issue. So they lied to the credit bureaus? Finally, my balance was updated after making 13 months worth of payments to $299. Well, this wasn't the end of it. After I had made my last payment in January of 2018, Capital One went back and updated my balance back to the $3,154 and the status showed updated on January 28, 2018! What are they doing? I called many times and spoke with the executive office and was promised returned phone calls which I never received, and when I did get a call back I was often put off or told to wait a few more days. I finally just gave up. I pulled my most recent copy of my experian report just as evidence of their fraudulent reporting should they try to cover up their mistake. Even more, when I had made my last payment, they said it would take a month to furnish me with a receipt and confirmation that my account was paid in full. They refused to email me a copy of it.

Is this grounds for them to remove the tradeline? Am I just imagining that they are really screwing my credit unfairly?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP! Capital One is Ruining Me!

Did you save records of all your payments to the law firm?

The charge-off itself should remain on your report, but (somebody else here probably knows for sure) it should say something along the lines of Original Balance:  $3,154.  Current Balance:  $0.

The real question is, did Capital One sell the charged off account to the law firm you were making payments to?  Or does Capital One still own the debt.  There's a big difference in the way that will show up on your credit report.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all records of payments. 

Capital One still owned the debt but used the law firm to collect payments. 

Message 3 of 5
tricie17
Frequent Contributor

Hold onto your receipts and copy the originals.  Do a dispute to the Credit Bureaus` by checking the box stating account has a paid balance and in explanation box state that you have backup of payment to their legal team and name of company.  If you have a letter from that legal office with Capital One as the financial advisor, then upload all of the copies to the Bureaus.  Make sure you keep originals.  This action should put your balance at zero after dispute.

Starting Score: 544
Current Score: 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

Join the club I haven’t read one success story with them in the last couple of months
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.