cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! Do you SEND a DV letter on offer to settle?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP!!! Do you SEND a DV letter on offer to settle?

Hello all!

I have been out of the fix my credit score game for awhile.  Went through a divorce and had a back surgery.  I am currently back in control of my finances.  I just got a settlement offer from a CA that I have never heard of.  Over a debt I don't recall.  Is it possible to send a DV letter on a settlement offer?  Or am I opening a can of worms?  IF so, does anyone have a sample of a DV letter?

Thanks  Hunnybunnz

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HELP!!! Do you SEND a DV letter on offer to settle?

Not so much opening a can of worms as one of closing their offer.

If you send a timely DV, it precludes them from any further collection on the debt until such time as they provide the requested verification.  So they cant further negotiate.

If they have contacted you, they were required to have also sent you dunning notice within 5 days.  Within that notice, they were required to have provided the name of the creditor.  If you dont acknowledge any debt to the named creditor, then payment might not be wise until you agree that the debt is legit.

I would recommend first sending a DV, particularly if they have not yet reported their collection to the CRAs,  A DV would prevent any credit reporting until the requested verification is provided.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP!!! Do you SEND a DV letter on offer to settle?

Thanks for your advice.  I would love to settle.  I just can't do it at this time.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.