cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Effect of credit card write off

tag
DolfanCLT

HELP! Effect of credit card write off

Hi all... I'm new to this forum... wish I had seen it earlier...

My Cap One credit card account is about to be written off... I have two cards with Amex and one with BofA that are maxed out but current... I have kept using them as a way to 'stretch' my remaining funds one more month at the time... in the last couple of months, I have made the minimum payment to Cap One as well, just to push the write off one month... but I won't be able to do it anymore... so, the question(s):

1. Is it worth to keep extending the Cap One write off even if I start getting late on one of the other cards? I.e. maybe 'buy me' another month using part of the money I have to pay one of the Amex cards....

2. If I let it go to write off, will the other card companies 'penalize' me by freezing or cancelling the cards?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: HELP! Effect of credit card write off

1. You might want to enroll in a debt management program, or to seek legal advice on what alternatives you have. There are legal aids that provide free legal advice. Google search for one around your area.

Also, you may want to consider taking up a personal loan to consolidate your debt, if it is possible. Explore all alternatives. It seems that you can no longer keep up with payments so what you have been doing is no longer sustainable.

Try contacting capitalone to see if they can enroll you in some payment program or something.

2. It's highly possible that other companies will eventually take adverse action against you. The only reason stopping them right now is that your balances are already maxed out, so there's really nothing left for them to balance chase.

You might also want to post this in the rebuilding section. You probably will get more help regarding these issues in that section.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
Xer0_SiN
New Contributor

i noticed you mentioned about pushing things out one month to prolong what seems like the inevitable. i just want to know, is there something that is coming down the line (ie: new job, windfall, sold house, etc) that is prompting you to keep pushing things back?
NFCU Cash #1: 15000, NFCU Cash #2: 15000, USAA Plat: 10000, USAA AMEX: 10000, Local CU #1: 7500, Chase Hyatt: 5000, NASA FCU: 5000, SDFCU: 5000, FNBO: 5000, Militarystar: 4700, Chase Militarystar: 4700, Local CU #2: 3000, Chase Ink Classic: 3000 Zales: 2700 Discover IT: 1500, GE Amazon: 1400, GE Walmart: 1400, Target: 500, GE Dillards: 300
NFCU LOC: 15000, Local CU LOC: 3000
Message 3 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@DolfanCLT wrote:

My Cap One credit card account is about to be written off... I have two cards with Amex and one with BofA that are maxed out but current... I have kept using them as a way to 'stretch' my remaining funds one more month at the time... in the last couple of months, I have made the minimum payment to Cap One as well, just to push the write off one month... but I won't be able to do it anymore... so, the question(s):

1. Is it worth to keep extending the Cap One write off even if I start getting late on one of the other cards? I.e. maybe 'buy me' another month using part of the money I have to pay one of the Amex cards....

2. If I let it go to write off, will the other card companies 'penalize' me by freezing or cancelling the cards?

Welcome to the forum! I'll start with #2: Your CCs soft your credit reports, usually monthly, sometimes more or less often. They will see if/when you are late to another creditor and will take AA (adverse action).

I ditto what the other poster said. A moderator might actually move this post to the rebuilder's thread, since that's where you'll get the most help.

If you have a relationship with a local bank or Credit Union, you might call and see if they will help you with a debt-consolidation loan.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@DolfanCLT wrote:

I would definitely explore every option you can in order to prevent it.  

Loans and debt management programs have already been mentioned.   Are you able to cut your expenses any further?  I would look into cutting anywhere you can so you have more funds to pay toward your debts.   If you've already done this, do you have any options to increase your income, perhaps even doing additional part-time work or odd jobs?

BK is probably an option at this point.  But keep in mind it's something you'll have to contend with for a long time.  My BK discharged in 2005, but it's still reporting on my CRs and certainly creditors still cite BK for denial.  

I definitely wish you the best of luck and hope you're able to pull out of this.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 11
DolfanCLT

Thank you very much for the prompt and thorough answer!!

I understand those options, but my issue now is the lack of income, so a new loan or even a payment plan is out of the question. As i've told the Cap One reps that call every so often, they'll get one of my first calls once I get a job so we can work out a plan to get out of this... but still, no cigar.... any day, though!

Thanks!

Message 6 of 11
DolfanCLT

I am very actively looking for a job and have a few active leads... Hope is still high and I trust I will get a job any day.... truth is, that hope has been there for a year and then some, but got to keep trying...

Message 7 of 11
DolfanCLT

Thanks, SunRise.... Yep, the way I've understood it, being written off will bring me one step closer to Bankruptcy... I am actually in contact with a lawyer to explore options and have asked him these same questions... but wanted to check real life experiences, first hand... Thanks!

Message 8 of 11
DolfanCLT

Thanks, bichonmom!

As said above, the main issue I have is the lack of income... Once I get a job, any job, I will be able to make a plan... any day now... have nothing if not hope!

Thanks!

Message 9 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@DolfanCLT wrote:

Thanks, SunRise.... Yep, the way I've understood it, being written off will bring me one step closer to Bankruptcy... I am actually in contact with a lawyer to explore options and have asked him these same questions... but wanted to check real life experiences, first hand... Thanks!

I understand how being out of work will take its toll on credit.  I've been laid off twice in the past few years.  Last time, I was fortunate to be rehired by my company about 2 months after it happened.  The time before that was 8 months.

IME, networking has been the best way into a new job.  Definitely ask friends in your line of work for leads and references.  Also, my local unemployment office had a weekly networking group for professionals that I joined.  They had classes that helped me improve my interview skills and sharpen up my resume.  I wasn't a big fan of job fairs, but they do help you hone your interview skills, if anything.  

I actually started with the company I'm as a temp.  I'd definitely register with the temp agencies, if you haven't already.  

Hopefully, your currently leads work out!  But just keep trying and go for as many things as you can.  Sometimes, it is just a numbers game.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.