cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Finally got a look at my credit report!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP! Finally got a look at my credit report!

Hello Everyone! 

I apologize in advance if this is covered elsewhere.

I finally got my credit report! I signed up for Credit Inform (free with my new secured Cap 1 card) and on the report I received they do not have my correct name listed. There are also 2 addresses on there where I am not currently resident. Should I dispute the incorrect addresses? What information should I send them to prove my correct name and address? So many posts that I have read use lingo I don't understand so I'm hoping to get a straight answer. Should my previos addresses stay on the report or just my current address? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

Re: HELP! Finally got a look at my credit report!

Welcome to the forums!  You need to standardize your information, UNLESS you suspect identity theft.  You can call each bureau and correct the information in a matter minutes.  If you think the wrong information is the result of identity theft then that's another issue all together.

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

Have you pulled all 3 reports from www.annualcreditreport.com?  If not, that is the first thing that I would do to compare and see what needs to be fixed on each one.  Then, I would call the ones that have the wrong information and ask them what they need to fix it.  If it is a matter of the reports showing a previous name or an address that you previous lived at, that is not unusual and those will stay on there.  What you want to be sure of is that the current address is in fact your current address and the name that you use is what is listed as current.  If you have names or addresses that are on there that are not yours and never were, then you will want to see what you need to do to remove those.

The best way to fix each one is to contact the credit bureau directly and see what they require.  You may be able to resolve through faxes or emails.

Message 3 of 6
howiez28
New Contributor

I can only speak from my own experience since I had a similar situation.  I was easily able to dispute and thus delete incorrect names and addresses online through Transunion and Equifax.  Experian is much more difficult.  If the name or address is being reported by any creditor on your Experian report they won't delete it.  At least this has been my experience.  They keep telling me to contact the creditor and sort it out through them.  Smiley Mad

With any of the 3 CRA...if it's your current name/address that you are trying to correct then you will have to send them proof of your current info.  I think you can do this with a copy of your driver license, bill etc.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys! I haven't pulled from all 3 CRAs yet, I think I only have the Experian one. I may have pulled the three earlier in the year though Smiley Frustrated I will probably have to purchase new ones. The addresses listed on Experian are my previous addresses so I don't think there's been any identity theft (thank goodness!). 

Message 5 of 6
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

I am in the process of applying for a mortgage and the first thing i was told to do was to standardize the information - I called TU and EQ and within minutyes that had my address and employer information changed to exactly what I told them - EX required a credit report number and then they changed it too - in all it took less than 30 minutes to do

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.