cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! HOW TO REMOVE PAID COLLECTION --ORIGINAL CREDITOR REMOVED ACCT MONTH AFTER PAID!

tag
pmac2014
Valued Member

HELP! HOW TO REMOVE PAID COLLECTION --ORIGINAL CREDITOR REMOVED ACCT MONTH AFTER PAID!

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a little advice......I have a paid collection on all 3 of my CRs from Portfolio Recovery (collection for Wold Financial Bank- Z GALLERY). I paid this in Jan 2014 and Z Gallery removed it from my CRs the following month. HOWEVER, Portfolio Recovery is still on all 3 CRAs!! Is that legal? I thought if the original creditor removes the baddie so should the CA.  Can someone give me some advice on how to deal with this because I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've spent the last year or so in high gear to clean up my CRs & have paid/settled everything but the paid collection accounts are killing me! I have 3 paid collections- this one with Portfolio and 2 with Midland Funding.  Decided to start with this one since Midland is a tough nut to crack. Any suggestions would be helpful.  

Thanks,

peter

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HELP! HOW TO REMOVE PAID COLLECTION --ORIGINAL CREDITOR REMOVED ACCT MONTH AFTER PAID!

No, the debt collector is not required to delete their collection based on any deletion by the OC.  It is their own separate reporting based on the fact that they had collection authority.  It is not even necessary for any reporting by the OC to ever have been made.

Contact the debt collector and request their good-will deletion.

If the OC is willing to assist you, then you could request them to contact their former debt collector on your behalf and request that they delete.

Message 2 of 5
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Re: HELP! HOW TO REMOVE PAID COLLECTION --ORIGINAL CREDITOR REMOVED ACCT MONTH AFTER PAID!

From my experience it's easier to get the original creditor to delete than the collection agency.  I sent one GW letter to Credit One & they deleted within a week.  Six months later and I'm still wrangling with Midland trying to get them to delete something I paid them in full for months ago (the Credit One account they deleted long ago).  Some folks have had luck with them but they're....difficult.

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 3 of 5
pmac2014
Valued Member

RobertEG,

Thank you for the info.  Not what I was hoping for, but at least I know where to start. I guess I will be making some phone calls first thing in the morning.

Message 4 of 5
pmac2014
Valued Member

Joeyoey,

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I will contact the OC for some assistance, but something occurred to me:  I never asked the OC to delete the account from my CR or do a PFD - they just did it and I hope it wasn't in error.  If it was an error, can they re-report to the CBs? I don't want something bad to come out of something good!! Any thoughts?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.