Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! I NEED ADVISE...Equifax IS USELESS!!!!GRRRRRRR

tag
Chilli
Established Contributor

HELP! I NEED ADVISE...Equifax IS USELESS!!!!GRRRRRRR

I am an AU on an acct. This TL is updating on TU and EX correctly.  In 2014, when this TL starting reporting to EQ, my file was split and EQ blamed it on me by saying it was because I had pulled my credit report daily is what caused the file to split. OK?!?!

EQ "FIXED" the issue by merging the 2 reports together...this was end of mid year.  In sept. 2014 this TL stopped updating.

i just reviewed my report today and the TL is there but have not updated since September, 2014. I no longer have a membership with EQ because they said "because I filed a complaint with the CFPB against them about my split file....they don't have to give me a membership ever again..." O.K. fine...who cares!

I tried to file a dispute today about my credit report showing incomplete and inaccurate info for this trade line and EQ told me...."the creditor will need to contact their Equifax sales representative if they are submitting updates electronically and the account is not updating." AND "Unfortunately I (EO) nor any of our customer service representatives are able to fix a tape reporting issue. You will have to contact the Creditor  directly and have them research the matter." AND "Tape reporting issues must be addressed by the creditor that is having the issue and their Equifax sales representative. That way the lender and the Equifax representative can troubleshoot/research the matter further."

Is there something wrong with what I'm being told by EQ? I'd thought when you have an issue of inaccurate and incomplete information on your credit report, you file a dispute with the credit reporting agencies! 

NO?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HELP! I NEED ADVISE...Equifax IS USELESS!!!!GRRRRRRR

Very wrong.

FCRA 611(a) explicity authorizes the consumer to dispute the accuracy of any item of information contained in their credit file.

Unless they specifically hold your dispute to be "frivolous or irrrelevant" under the provisions of section 611(a)(3), they MUST conduct a reasonable reinvestigation and make a determination as to the accuracy.

They are in violation of their reinvestigation requirment under FCRA 611(a).

That is clear fodder for a formal complaint to the CFPB.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chilli wrote:

I am an AU on an acct. This TL is updating on TU and EX correctly.  In 2014, when this TL starting reporting to EQ, my file was split and EQ blamed it on me by saying it was because I had pulled my credit report daily is what caused the file to split. OK?!?!

EQ "FIXED" the issue by merging the 2 reports together...this was end of mid year.  In sept. 2014 this TL stopped updating.

i just reviewed my report today and the TL is there but have not updated since September, 2014. I no longer have a membership with EQ because they said "because I filed a complaint with the CFPB against them about my split file....they don't have to give me a membership ever again..." O.K. fine...who cares!

I tried to file a dispute today about my credit report showing incomplete and inaccurate info for this trade line and EQ told me...."the creditor will need to contact their Equifax sales representative if they are submitting updates electronically and the account is not updating." AND "Unfortunately I (EO) nor any of our customer service representatives are able to fix a tape reporting issue. You will have to contact the Creditor  directly and have them research the matter." AND "Tape reporting issues must be addressed by the creditor that is having the issue and their Equifax sales representative. That way the lender and the Equifax representative can troubleshoot/research the matter further."

Is there something wrong with what I'm being told by EQ? I'd thought when you have an issue of inaccurate and incomplete information on your credit report, you file a dispute with the credit reporting agencies! 

NO?

An AU tradeline not being updated is not, IMO, a disputable issue from the CRA's side. There is no requirement for the furnisher to provide ANY information to any specific bureau They may report or not report to any CRA's they choose, as they see fit, and change that at any time. You need to contact the lender - or rather the account holder needs to contact the lender and try to figure out why its not getting reported to EQ.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no requirement for a party to initially report to a CRA, but updating is a different matter.

Once a party has furnished information ot a CRA, they incur the requirment under FCRA 623(a)(2) to promptly update that information in order to maintain its current accuracy.

If prior information changes such that it is no longer accurate, then a dispute of its accuracy is clearly appropriate under the requirments of FCRA 623(a)(2) if the furnsher has failed to promptly update.

Message 4 of 6
Chilli
Established Contributor

When this issue 1st happened last year, the creditor (chase) was contacted and the creditor said they were reporting to all three...that Equifax had the issue. Now, EQ is the only one who stopped reporting in 9/2014. It's still reporting to the other two correctly. 

Im lost as to what to do about this issue AGAIN! Should we contact chase again or shouldn't it be EQ who should take my dispute and fix my credit report?

also, should I file a CFPB complaint against EQ for not taking my dispute...I have their responses all in emails from the EO.

Message 5 of 6
J91605
Frequent Contributor

Sound like you should dispute, and file a CFPB complaint. 

Starting Score: 6/30/15 EQ 554 TU 534 EX 608
Current Score: EQ 630 TU 635 EX 653
Goal Score: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.