Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP ME PLEASE!

tag
terebe65
Established Member

HELP ME PLEASE!

hello all,

I realy need help. i want to a house in the next 12 months but my credit is horrible. my score is about 548 and i want it to get to about 650 soon. The problem is i took out a lot of store credit cards when i was in college and i couldn't pay for them. i stop using them in 2006 and it went to collection. last year i had a baby and a lot of the medical bills are in collection now. i don't know where to start becasue the credit cards are showing as charge offs and the collection accounts are also on there. so for one credit card i have two diiferent companies reporting (i. e i owe macys and its collection agency). where do i start? do i pay the collection agencies? will i be able to get them to remove some stuff. i was with a company called cccreditsolutions but they really didnt do much for me. Please help. Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP ME PLEASE!

First, pull all of your reports from annualcreditreport.com - choose the "printable" option and pdf and / or print your reports.  Those will have the most complete information.  Then go to optoutprescreen.com and opt out, which will make it less likely for there to be new surprises on your reports.  Look up the SoL (statute of limitations) for your state.  For the medical items, try to figure out if there was an insurance or billing issue - that might save you some cash.  Also, sometimes you can qualify for financial aid with the hospital.  Then check out the HIPAA process (you'll have to google it) and determine what you want to do before you consider contacting the CA.

Ideally, you're going to want to deal with the OC instead of the CA - feel free to call them and see if they can / will recall the CA and delete reporting in exchange for payment.  Also, I'd recommend sending a DV letter ("I request validation of this debt") ONLY to items that you can either pay in full or that are beyond statute of limitation.  And...do searches here for the CA and OC names to see what others' experiences were with them.  Posting individual items and asking advice on each one, removing personal info, is a good way to get specific advice on each item.  (I would not post all of them in the same post.  I, for one, skim those and usually don't respond because it's really overwhelming).

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
terebe65
Established Member

Thank you. i hope that i can get some progress soon. If not i may have to file for bankruptcy.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mauve wrote:

First, pull all of your reports from annualcreditreport.com - choose the "printable" option and pdf and / or print your reports.  Those will have the most complete information.  Then go to optoutprescreen.com and opt out, which will make it less likely for there to be new surprises on your reports.  Look up the SoL (statute of limitations) for your state.  For the medical items, try to figure out if there was an insurance or billing issue - that might save you some cash.  Also, sometimes you can qualify for financial aid with the hospital.  Then check out the HIPAA process (you'll have to google it) and determine what you want to do before you consider contacting the CA.

Ideally, you're going to want to deal with the OC instead of the CA - feel free to call them and see if they can / will recall the CA and delete reporting in exchange for payment.  Also, I'd recommend sending a DV letter ("I request validation of this debt") ONLY to items that you can either pay in full or that are beyond statute of limitation.  And...do searches here for the CA and OC names to see what others' experiences were with them.  Posting individual items and asking advice on each one, removing personal info, is a good way to get specific advice on each item.  (I would not post all of them in the same post.  I, for one, skim those and usually don't respond because it's really overwhelming).

While it is good to get details from the OC / CA in order to see exactly where one stands, it is important to realize that a DV looses effectiveness if not filed within 30 days of the first communication.  From what OP has stated, that ship may have sailed.

Message 4 of 6
mauve
Valued Contributor

Yes, after the 30 days, they are not required to respond.  However, DV letters frequently result in a variety of outcomes - one of which is they're ignored, but the others are that a CA could delete because they can't validate, one of which being it inspires a response with an accounting of the debt, one of which is that they send a settlement offer...if you can pay in full, it's not really a terrible idea to DV before sending a PFD.  (And I've had PFDs ignored more than DVs, in my personal experience)

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mauve wrote:

Yes, after the 30 days, they are not required to respond.  However, DV letters frequently result in a variety of outcomes - one of which is they're ignored, but the others are that a CA could delete because they can't validate, one of which being it inspires a response with an accounting of the debt, one of which is that they send a settlement offer...if you can pay in full, it's not really a terrible idea to DV before sending a PFD.  (And I've had PFDs ignored more than DVs, in my personal experience)

True.  Little downside in trying.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.