Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! Mortgage Sold - Inaccuracies on Credit Reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP!!! Mortgage Sold - Inaccuracies on Credit Reports

In December 2010, I filed a chapter 13 bankruptcy.  At that time Bank of America had my mortgage but then sold it in July 2014 to Carrington Mortgage Services.  I was never delinquent on my mortgage prior to filing chapter 13 and was dismissed after successfully completing the payment plan in December 2015.  I resumed making payments directly to CMS in January 2016 and all payments are current, never late.  However, CMS is reporting false information to all three credit bureaus.  For instance:

Date Opened is listed as May 2009 (BofA had my mortgage at that time, not CMS)

Date of 1st Delinquency is listed as December 2010 (besides the fact that BofA had my mortgage, my payment was auto deducted and paid as usual, I was not delinquent)

Although there is a remaining balance listed, CMS has the account marked as closed (I'm still paying my mortgage so to me the account is still open)

Little to no payment history is listed and what is listed is false (CMS is reporting an actual payment of 2079 when my payment is only 997)

I can go on and on about all of the inaccuracies that CMS is reporting and I have disputed (mailed in documentation supporting the dispute) with all three bureaus.  Transunion deleted CMS from my report so it's not showing that I have a mortgage and that I have been making payments on time and never late.  Experian updated my file to say that the account was up to date 9pays as agrees)  but there is still false information and no payment history is listed.  Equifax refuses to correct any of the information and is still showing all of the false information.

I spoke with a representative at CMS (call center person, not the REAL company because apparently they don't enteract directly with their customers) and was told that by filing bankruptcy, it's as if my mortgage never happened and that's why they are reporting is as being closed ... ?????????  Although I completed my Ch 13 and have been dismissed I am still under the "bankruptcy umbrella" and that's why there is no payment history being reported.  When CMS purchased my mortgage from BofA they assumed all prior history and that's why they are reporting that the account was opened in May 2009 instead of July 2014 when CMS actually purchased my mortgage from BoA ... how can this be?  How can one company report another company's information to credit bureaus?  It doesn't make any sense to me at all.

As I have already stated, I have disputed this with the credit bureaus, sent letters to CMS, supplied legal documentation to bureaus and CMS and am not able to get CMS to report accurate information. 

Presently, my husband's company has relocated him to another state.  We have sold our house and have a closing date of May 31.  We are now leasing house but would like to purchase a house in the near future but I'm worried that we will not be able to get a mortgage with CMS reporting false information. 

Please help!   I would appreciate any information and advise that would help my situation.

7 REPLIES 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: HELP!!! Mortgage Sold - Inaccuracies on Credit Reports

I moved your post to  rebuilding so you will get more responses.

I have a quick question - you were discharged right?  Not dismissed?  There is a huge difference - one is a successful Bankruptcy and the other is a failed bankruptcy.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife also had a previous mortgage "sold" to Carrington ... On her reports it shows her previous mortgage as closed and the Carrington mortgage was listed as well.

Looking at her report from October of last year, Carrington assumed her mortgage when she was very late (and requested a loan modification from Bank of America). They reported lates up until May of 2016, when the report shows LMD (abbreviation for Loan Modification). During the modification we assumed the mortgage was with BoA but in reality it had been with Carrington from July 2015. This may be why yours reports "incorrectly." Did you do a modification too? This may be why the waters are muddied. 

Carrington, ostensibly, is a collection agency. They may say mortgage services, but they're a collection agency when it comes down to it. It also may be "technically" correct  but looks incorrect to you. 

You may need an attorney

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for moving my post.

We sucessfully completed our chapter 13 payment plan with the court trustee and have an official court order of discharge. 

Message 4 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If you included the mortgage in the bankruptcy then I think it's reporting correctly, with exception to the payment amount.  Also, does BofA show your account was transferred or sold?  It's very common that the new servicer shows the date open as the original date the mortgage was open.  If they didn't show this, your AAoA would be lowered and you could negatively be affected based solely on a lender selling the servicing.  

I think you will have to provide proof of on time payments via cancelled checks for your new mortgage.  

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, we did not do a loan modification.  CMS purchased our loan while we were in a chapter 13 bankruptcy which might be the reason for CMS listing BofA information.  At the end of our ch 13 payment plan (we successfully completed in December 2015) we were told by CMS that it would take up to 60 days for them to "unflag" our account as being in bankruptcy.  In reality, it took us over a year for CMS to "unflag" our account and that's after our attorney became involved and contacted them on our behalf.

I agree, I think that CMS is nothing but a collection agency.  I know that their customer service is nothing more than a call center who can accept a payment and change personal info on an account (phone number, email address, etc)  None of the reps can discuss details about a mortgage.  For months they told us that they would request someone from their bankruptcy department to contact us but we never received any form of correspondence from them.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is an AAoA?

We have contacted CMS twice in writing and provided legal documents, payments history, etc.  We have filed disputes with the Experian, Equifax and Transunion also providing documentation that supported our dispute.  Experian updated a few things but there is still no payment history listed which I think is hurting our scores.  Transunion deleted the account from our reports.  Is that hurting our score?  Exquifax continues to report false inforamation.  Our reports went from bad to worse and our scores continue to drop.

Experian is showing that the loan was "transferred or sold" but Equifax does not have anything listed, no explanation at all about the loan being sold.

Does anyone know if we need to wait until we have been discharged from chapter 13 before we can get a mortgage?  Our bankruptcy is due to be removed from our credit reports in December of this year.  Would waiting for this to be removed be more beneficial to us? 

Message 7 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I think it's a common practice that a mortgage company does not report a payment history when you've had a bankruptcy. Have you researched online or in the bankruptcy forum regarding this? Just keep all of your cancelled checks to prove payment history.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.