Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP NEEDED

tag
Rkalynsmith
Regular Contributor

HELP NEEDED

Long story short received a letter from the CA saying i owed this and that. Called today and they stated the DOFD was Aug 2006. Account was opened Jan 2006. Told her i knew nothing about nothing. I'm worried about starting the SOL over and worried about them trying to put it on my CR and re-aged the debt. I spoke on the issue before on here about them (Convergent Outsourcing) re-aging a debt of mines before. Anyway I want to call the OC and get something in writing stating the DOFD. Should i? SOL and the 7 years that it can report on my CR are TWO different things correct? If i contact the OC the SOL can start over but not the reporting time on my CR correct? 

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELP NEEDED

What is the SOL of your state? This would give us the information regarding the court side of the arguement.  As far as the CRTP, how long it can stay on your CR, max would be a couple more months providing they pushed it to the end of the 7 years + 180 days.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If the DOFD was 8/2006, then they cannot report. It's too old. Aside from illegally changing the DOFD, there are no worries per reporting.

Per SOL, YMMV on your state. In most states, once SOL expires, then it expires. In some states, SOL can stop and it can restart if you do something like make a promise to pay it, pay on it, get incarcerated, move out of state and back in, etc. Contacting a creditor about the debt will never restart SOL. Just don't call them. Keep everything in writing.

Yes, the 7-7.5 yr CRTP is totally separate and different from your state's SOL.

If I had that, I would ignore them. If really wigged, then send a DV. Even if SOL and CRTP expires, they can collect forever.

ETA...slow typing disease affects 1 out of 6.

Message 3 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

If the DOFD was 8/2006, then they cannot report. It's too old. Aside from illegally changing the DOFD, there are no worries per reporting.

Per SOL, YMMV on your state. In most states, once SOL expires, then it expires. In some states, SOL can stop and it can restart if you do something like make a promise to pay it, pay on it, get incarcerated, move out of state and back in, etc. Contacting a creditor about the debt will never restart SOL. Just don't call them. Keep everything in writing.

If I had that, I would ignore them. If really wigged, then send a DV. Even if SOL and CRTP expires, they can collect forever.

llecs, I actually have that aging out to Feb. of 2014

edited for year error

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 6
Rkalynsmith
Regular Contributor

I'm in ILLINOIS and from what i read a written contract is 10 years Smiley Sad. It was for a Dish Network bill so i guess that is a written contract. I won't call anymore. She was too calm anyway lol Should i send a DV letter? She told me if i ever wanted to settle pay Dish and not them which is odd. Still a lil confused after our convo. 

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Shogun wrote:

@llecs wrote:

llecs, I actually have that aging out to Feb. of 2014

edited for year error

I suppose there's the 180-day mention. IME, all of my CAs fell off by 7 years and not any later. Most all of my COs fell off by 7 yrs, but I do recall one stayed up to or close to 7.5.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.