cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Need advice on how to resolve a medical debt with creditor!!! (Kind of long..sorry!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP! Need advice on how to resolve a medical debt with creditor!!! (Kind of long..sorry!)

Hi there:

I have been receiving phone calls from a TransWorld Systems the last couple of weeks. The messages they have been leaving say they are trying to collect a debt...provided a reference number...yada yada yada.

First of all, I have been unemployed since February of this year. Secondly, I was having difficulty with repaying my student loans (the only account - that I was aware of that was suffering from any delinquencies, etc.) Fortunately, I have all of that straightened out, and I am back on the saddle again.
TransWorld Systems has been continuing to call me since I received the paperwork from Citibank, so I "assumed" this was in regards to the Citibank situation or simply a SCAM! We receive SCAM phone calls ALL.OF.THE.TIME! It's nonstop, so if a number comes up as "unavailable" or "unknown caller", I do not answer the phone.
Well, got another message on my answering machine this evening, and decided to give them a call. I just assumed it was for the student loans, and that maybe they didn't receive the paperwork from Citibank or what-not. When I provided them the reference number, they mentioned it was for a 130-something dollar medical bill from my dentist. I was FLOORED when I heard that. Really shocked, honestly. This is obviously something I have overlooked. They said it's been since July of last year. I am being 100% honest when I say, I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THIS! If paperwork was mailed to me, I must've either canned it (I get JUNK MAIL all the time too) or something something along those lines.

The man was nice at first, but that changed ASAP, as soon as I told him how shocked I was, and that I can't do anything right now. I told him, "listen, I am unemployed, and I can't put that on my priority list right now. Please send me a statement, and I will try to make arrangements when I can." I know they hear this all of the time, but I wasn't about to give him ANYTHING over the phone. Then he puts his B*$#@& supervisor on the phone, and she pretty much gave me the same scoop. Since I wouldn't make payment over the phone, they are now considering this "refusal of payment" and sending it to collections or whatever. I told them this is NOT a refusal of payment, it's just that I can't do anything now, and WILL NOT give you anything over the phone. I asked for a statement for the balance-due so I could send them a check. They are refusing to do this...again. I am not familiar with Transworld Systems, so getting anything from them in the mail does not ring a bell at all. I feel like I am entitled to another statement, that way I will have the information I need to mail payment. She finally said, this is not going anywhere and HUNG THE PHONE UP ON ME!
I've never had to deal with anyone like this, but I absolutely REFUSE to pay anything over the phone.

So, with all of this being said, what are any other alternatives to resolving this? Can I go to my dentist, pay them, and ask if they can pull this debt from these jerks? Or, if I mail a check to this Transworld Systems for the total due, will they resolve it appropriately? What would I need to do to get confirmation that the debt has been resolved, etc.? They will not send me another statement, and I do NOT want to do business like this. I don't have the money, but they literally put words in my mouth tonight by saying I am refusing to pay this thing! I will be glad to, if I have a visual on what I am paying it for and confirmation that the money I send is going into the right hands.

PLEASE HELP ME ON WHAT I CAN DO TO GET THIS RESOLVED...safely!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP! Need advice on how to resolve a medical debt with creditor!!!

Please? Can anyone help? I am not familiar with this type of situation, and would appreciate some advice

Thanks -
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP! Need advice on how to resolve a medical debt with creditor!!!

I am confused why they said "this is going to collections" if they are a collection agency...LOL.  Whatever, losers!

Anyhow, for medical collections there is a very specific process you are supposed to use because of HIPPA laws.  If done to the "T", results are overwhelmingly good that it gets the collection removed.  

For specifics, Google "whychat" and look under the HIPPA section.  All this used to be here, but they removed for whatever reason so now you have to go to a different site.  Weird I know.  

Don't pay or talk to this CA any more, follow the HIPPA process.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP! Need advice on how to resolve a medical debt with creditor!!! (Kind of long..sorry!)

Thank you so much, pokershark! I really appreciate the advice.

The more I thought about this, the more it made me angry. Not only them hanging the phone up on me, but no one should have to be obligated to provide someone their account information over the phone to make payment. That's my opinion, anyway. I just don't know how these creditors can go to bed at night with the attitude they have, and they take advantage of people who don't know their rights. It threw me so off-guard when I found out what the collection was actually for, that I didn't know what to think of it or what to say at the time of the call.

I did a bit of research on the forums before creating my post, but since I never had to speak with a creditor before, I just couldn't make sense of the situation and needed some advice. I am still sick about the way they treated me and took me for an idiot. I really do feel like an idiot that I have a medical collection out there -that I totally was unaware of - but I cannot accept that them MAKING me make a payment over the phone is the only way to get this resolved.

And, yes. He mentioned something about this "going into the second phase", therefore, it was going to go directly to my credit report or something like that. Like I said, I was in total shock over the phone call and it all happened so fast, I can't recall all the details.
But your advice is very much appreciated. I do not know a thing about HIPPA, so I wouldn't have even known to begin there.
Again, thanks again. I know that there are others out there in my situation, so I will reply what the outcome of this is. I have my fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.