cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! Need to boost my score by August.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP!!! Need to boost my score by August.

I  am in need of some help.  I want to purchase my first home but I need some advice on boosting my score.  I am very new to this credit thing and will need all the help I can get.  There are two things that are negatively affecting me (according to the mortgage banker I spoke with yesterday), and both are from years ago. The major thing that I must get rid of are 5 medical collections from 2007 (2 are fairly reasonable and I think I can pay those in full, 1 is $7k and 1 is $5k. The last one is $20k and I know this is not correct.  It looks like the collections agency added them all together).  In the past, I was told not to touch any of them because they will become recent and negatively effect me.  Also, I have 3 charge offs that were paid in full in July 2005, but I do not have the receipts from them.  They are showing paid on all the reports as well.  Is there hope for me?  I am trying to buy in August 2011.

Scores when I pulled FICO:

EQ: 574

TU: 611

Scores from Mortgage Banker:

EQ: 574

TU: 578

EX: 625

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP!!! Need to boost my score by August.

I am ready some posts regarding the HIPAA process but it is going way over my head.  Can it apply to my case?  How do I start the process?   HELP!!!!!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it....Can't discuss Hipaa.  Will look into it.  What about the 3 paid charge-offs?

Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, discussing details of the HIPAA process are taboo here, though google "HIPAA Process" for more info. HIPAA process does involve paying the OCs first, though, and that may or may not be an option. The other option is to skip HIPAA and send a DV to the CA. If they verify and you agree, then you can send a PFD (even offer a settlement too) and if they agree, you'd pay it and they'll delete. BEFORE doing anything, look up your state's SOL. Likely because it is medical, you signed a contract at some point in time. Look up the SOL for your state for written contracts. If SOL did not expire, then make sure you have the ability to PIF first before doing anything. You can certainly settle, but if they (the Dr. if following HIPAA or the CA if going the DV-PFD route) reject the settlement offer, then they can sue for the full amount if they wanted to. Sending anything to them will wake them up. If SOL expired, then there's nothing to worry about as long as you don't do anything to reset SOL (YMMV based on state law...e.g. make a partial payment without settling or making a promise to pay).

Look at your two FICO reports. Look for a line item called AAoA or Average Age of Accounts. If you see it, it'll be on pages 2 or 3 of the report. If those 3 charge-offs are older than your AAoA, then removing them could hurt your FICO score. You'd want to proceed carefully. If any are your oldest account, then I'd do nothing to it. You can get them to delete early by sending a GW letter to whomever is reporting. They don't have to respond, but always worth a shot. Again, you can lose points if removing an old CO. YMMV based on your credit report.

Do you have any open and current accounts?

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the boards! Congrats on wanting to do something about your credit!

I'm interested to know why your lender said you needed to pay off your medical collections? I had an accident that wasn't my fault in 04 and the other person's insurance was supposed to pay. Well, it didn't and long story short, I didn't know anything about credit or how to sue someone for an accident that should have been claimed under their liability insurance. 

When I got an FHA loan in 08, I was NOT required to pay the prior medical off. They only looked at the last 24 months of payment history to determine if I was a worthwhile candidate or not. 

You've got ten months to rehab that credit. Read the boards, do a bunch of PFD (if you really need to pay it off before loan approval), write a bunch of Goodwill letters and keep your fingers crossed! 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

miam82 you can do it just read up on the PFD'S. but do you have any open accounts, if not you may want to open a secured credit card and only put less than 10% on it and pay if off every month to show you can be responsible with credit again. This helped my score and my LO told me FHA likes to see 12-24 months of on time payments and she suggested two cards to rebuild.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have 2 credit cards, a car loan and my student loans.  I am currently at 70% utilization (from my credit cards.  I have $300 balance on both and I just made a payment to get those below 50% and plan to make another large payment on them in January). They are all paid on time and I typically pay more than the amount due each month.  I was planning to pay off my car loan in the next 6 months, but that may be diverted due to the medical collections situation.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

good plan paying down the credit cards. I bet you'll see a nice jump in score as you continue to pay those down. Theres a credit simulator on the myfico reports on here that you can play around with different amounts and length of time and it will give you an idea of how many points you could gain.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.