Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! New Tax Lien on Credit Report

tag
Hanson779
Established Member

HELP! New Tax Lien on Credit Report

Hi Everyone, 

Hoping someone can give me some advice on what to do next...

I got a notification at about 7am this morning that my credit report (Credit Karma) had a public record from TransUnion for a Tax lien from NY. 

It was for some back taxes from 2011 in the amount of $4,500. I am willing to prioritize and get this paid off pretty quickly (2-3 months) but wanted to see if there is anyway to get the lien removed because it going to mess up my credit which is already in the toliet.

Should I hire a tax attorney to see if they can get it off? Who do I ask to remove the lien --- NY State Tax and Finance or the credit bueraues?

I am seeing alot of conflicting information. The bottom line is I have no idea where I should start. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELP! New Tax Lien on Credit Report

You have to ask the entity who submitted the lien to withdraw it once its been settled. Some states allow this others do not. If it gets withdrawn then it can be removed from your CRs. If the state wont do this then you want to settle it ASAP as paid tax liens remain on file for 7 years from month/year paid. An unpaid lien can remain potentially forever on your CR.

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Hanson779
Established Member

Re: HELP! New Tax Lien on Credit Report

THank you! Im going to hire an tax attorney in NY and start paying off. Hopefully they can help me get it vacated. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.