cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Notice of garnishment of wages starting next week.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP! Notice of garnishment of wages starting next week.

I am happy to see that you will be able to work things out if need be. It is scary that this can happen though and a person a) needs to be in good enough financial shape to even try to do something about it and b) can possibly be stuck sacrificing to pay someone else's (a stranger's!) responsibilities.

Good luck! I still pray you can resolve this soon and with as little personal damage as possible. Would be much nicer to take that money from your past employer and pay down debt, build your savings or go on a nice vacation...anything but deal with this some more.

Thanks for keeping us updated!
Message 51 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

They weren't able to file the motions on Friday. They haven't received the files from VA yet, as apparently the PERSON (SINGULAR) that does that is on vacation for two weeks. -.-

I asked my employer if there was anything I could provide to push it off another pay period while my lawyer waits for the certified files, and they said "maybe", so I asked my lawyer if they would draft a letter letting my employer know they were representing me on the matter and believed it would be quashed and the grounds of which. I don't even know if they will be able to do that.

And I got a letter from the plaintiff's lawyer with some misleading wording:

"As per our phone conversation, I am writing to confirm that you received notification of the garnishment on you through your employer." with the garnishment attached. Obviously my phone call was asking for information on the lawsuit, of which they told me they had no information and to contact their client. I never received notification about any of this, other than my employer sending me a one-line email that my garnishment for 25% of my income was starting on the next pay period.

Can't wait to see what my lawyer makes of this letter. Now I'm feeling like it was a mistake to contact them at all. 

Message 52 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

My lawyer did draft a letter and send it to my employer. They did agree not to withhold from this pay period. 

Still waiting on the case files from VA. 

Message 53 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

We got the case files. In a shady turn of events, the plaintiff owned a property that I lived at. She was not the landlord, which is why I didn't recognize her name.

The receipts for the "property damage" are for a renovation she did on another property, which we found online was listed for sale the month after she filed the initial lawsuit, there are even receipts for buying items for staging, like furniture and curtains. Completely insane.

My lawyer was in court on Friday, so he hasn't had the chance to look over this stuff, but I'll let you all know what happens.

Can't believe the BS people will pull and how easy it is to scam the system into pinning it on someone.

-.-

Message 54 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous.

That's insane.  I hope you can resolve this quickly.  Is there any way to turn around and sue her for damages to your reputation from initiating a fraudulent suit? 

Message 55 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure. It never hit my credit report because I don't think they ever had my social security number. My application didn't involve a credit check or anything like that. I think maybe they called previous landlords? I don't remember.

The whole thing is just so bizarre.

Message 56 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

On top of that, they also gave me positive reference at subsequent rentals...

Message 57 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On top of that, they also gave me positive reference at subsequent rentals...

This is a nightmare for you and on top of it, you're having to spend money to get this resolved.  There should be some sort of compensation if nothing else them paying attorney fees and subsequent court costs.

Message 58 of 71
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Wow that's just INSANE , but with all the proof I'm sure your lawyer will get it dismissed
Message 59 of 71
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm wondering if there might actually be grounds for you to start an action against the plaintiff for suing you on false pretenses or some such thing? Because the more data you turn up, the more and more it looks like the plaintiff was deliberately trying to give you the business because she knew you were cross-country and therefore presumably would have found it too difficult to fight back. Looks like she thought wrong!

Message 60 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.