Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP PLEASE NEED QUICK ADVICE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HELP PLEASE NEED QUICK ADVICE

I have an account in collections from an old utility bill. $2200. i just spoke to someone from OC (they still own debt) and was told if i make payment in full they would recall from CA. I have this recorded but nothing in writing. Should I go ahead and pay? Trying to get collection agency off reports. She is calling me back in 10 min please help someone

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

Re: HELP PLEASE NEED QUICK ADVICE

I would request a letter in writing.  You just never can trust the collection agencies.

Current FICO 08 as of 06/01/2015 TU 648 EQ 624 EX 602
FICO Mortgage Scores TU 594 EQ 540 EX 642

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the quick response. its not the CA though i was told this by the OC

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have their statement over the phone, its a valid and binding agreement. Failure to follow through places them at risk of litigation.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank yo normanfh for your quick reply. I'm going to pay it. I just hope it all works out without any hassle. 2200 is a lot of money for me and the CA had agreed to settle for 1600 but i'll pay the diff if it means getting it off my reports. sooo nervous lol a year ago i wouldnt have paid anyone and not cared but now i'm determined to get all my baddies cleared up and not get anymore...ever.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you pay the OC before they have actually terminated the debt collector's collection authority, then there is no longer a debt and they cannot retroactively then terminate the collection authority.  Thus, the debt collector will have had active collection authority at time of payment of the debt, and will have no requirement to delete their reported collection.

The only "requirement" to terminate their own reporting is the CRA policy that a debt collector who has had their collection authority terminated while the debt remains unpaid should report deletion of their collection.  That would no longer be the case should you simply pay and the OC accpet payment.

You should first offer a pay for delete to the debt collector, which obtains their direct agreement to terminate their own reporting.

Otherwise, you will have no requiment for the debt collector to delete unless the OC terminates the assigned collection authority before accepting payment of the debt.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you RobertEG. I tried pay for delete with the CA. They said after it was paid they would "submit it for review" but would not give me a definite answer. The woman i spoke to today with the OC said she had submitted a request to have the debt recalled from the CA while I was on the phone with her. This was before payment but could not possibly have been processed before payment. Have I left myself without options?

Message 7 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you RobertEG. I tried pay for delete with the CA. They said after it was paid they would "submit it for review" but would not give me a definite answer. The woman i spoke to today with the OC said she had submitted a request to have the debt recalled from the CA while I was on the phone with her. This was before payment but could not possibly have been processed before payment. Have I left myself without options?

Sounds like you are good on this one since they submitted the recall prior to payment, the CA should remove their reporting. Keep the recorded calls around.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.