New Visitor
tinkerkel

HELP! - Pay off rest of Charge Off to improve credit? Yes or No??

I am a virgin to FICO Forums... Hello and thank you in advance!

I Co-signed for a BF's car loan years back and of course he totaled the car and didn't have insurance. Long story short, he junked the car and I ended up stuck with the bill. Since his credit was already shot, he didn't care and didn't pay it. (lesson learned) NEVER CO SIGN!! The remaining balance was about 5k, I talked them into settling for about 3k. At the time, I knew nothing about a charge off and thought I was doing the rite thing.

Now a few years later, I am (obviously) affected with a lower credit score. I am getting ready to buy a house and this is really causing problems. I called Honda Finance to see if they would delete the charge off since I paid as much as I could. No luck. Now they said if I pay the remaining balance and get a copy of the police report for total loss they would remove the charge off. 

Is paying the 2k worth it? I am seeing on other forums that paid or unpaid, a charge off still hurts your credit. Is there any advise out there? What do I need Honda to agree to, to make this worth paying the remainder of the loan. Can I actually get them to delete the whole thing as if it never happened?

Thank you so much in advance for any help!! :-)

guiness56

Re: HELP! - Pay off rest of Charge Off to improve credit? Yes or No??

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+