Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP- Phantom Collection?

tag
djg25

HELP- Phantom Collection?

Hello Forum,

I have a vexing problem and was hoping someone might be able to help me figure this out.

I have been attempting to improve my credit over the last several months, paying down balances and getting incorrect info off my reports. My scores had each risen at least 100 points over the last 6 months.

Last month, in one day, my TransUnion score dropped from 722 to 652. the reason is apparently that a collection had been added to my report. when i went on myFICO to find info on it, the only piece of information was the date of collection was 9/30. i figured maybe I would have to wait for my quarterly 3 bureau report to learn more. well, i just reviewed it- and there are still NO collections listed for any of the 3 bureaus.

What could be going on here? Obviously I can't dispute a collection that apparently doesnt exist. Anyone hear of this happening to someone else?

Thanks in advance for any info you might have!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HELP- Phantom Collection?

The normal procedure when you wish info on a reported collection is to send a debt validation (DV) request to the debt collector.

You need their address to send a DV.

Did you ever receive a formal dunning notice from the debt collector?  Do you know their name?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP- Phantom Collection?

@djg25 wrote:
Hello Forum,

I have a vexing problem and was hoping someone might be able to help me figure this out.

I have been attempting to improve my credit over the last several months, paying down balances and getting incorrect info off my reports. My scores had each risen at least 100 points over the last 6 months.

Last month, in one day, my TransUnion score dropped from 722 to 652. the reason is apparently that a collection had been added to my report. when i went on myFICO to find info on it, the only piece of information was the date of collection was 9/30. i figured maybe I would have to wait for my quarterly 3 bureau report to learn more. well, i just reviewed it- and there are still NO collections listed for any of the 3 bureaus.

What could be going on here? Obviously I can't dispute a collection that apparently doesnt exist. Anyone hear of this happening to someone else?

Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

Have you pulled your free annual reports from annualcreditreport.com?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.