Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP WITH 42 POINT DROP???

tag
srodier
Valued Member

HELP WITH 42 POINT DROP???

I ran my report today just like any other time. I noticed a total debt drop of $91.00. I have 2 student loans that dropped the balance and high balance totaling 91.00. When I checked my score it had dropped 42 points? Also added comment "loan not in repayment", been in forbearance for 2 years. Why would my total debt dropping lower my score instead of raising it? Also how do I correct this as this has hit my score really hard I was almost out of the bad credit range.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELP WITH 42 POINT DROP???

@srodier wrote:

I ran my report today just like any other time. I noticed a total debt drop of $91.00. I have 2 student loans that dropped the balance and high balance totaling 91.00. When I checked my score it had dropped 42 points? Also added comment "loan not in repayment", been in forbearance for 2 years. Why would my total debt dropping lower my score instead of raising it? Also how do I correct this as this has hit my score really hard I was almost out of the bad credit range.

Where did you get your score info from? ScoreWatch I'm guessing?

On the surface, a decrease in installment balances won't drop your score by 42 points. In fact, it won't increase or decrease your scores at all. Something else must have happened (e.g. increased utilization, change in account status, dropped TL, updated baddie, etc.).

Message 2 of 6
srodier
Valued Member

TRUECREDIT FROM TRANSUNION. AND NOTHING ELSE HAPPEN. JUST THE HIGH BALANCE AND BALANCE DUE DROPPED. JUST NOTICED CURRENT STATUS CHANGED FROM CURRENT TO UNKNOWN. HERE IS ONE OF THEM THAT WAS CHANGED THE OTHER WAS CHANGED THE SAME WAY EXCEPT FOR $16.00

Condition:OpenOpen
Balance:$572$497
(-$75)
Type:EducationalEducational
Pay Status:CurrentUnknown
Past Due:$0$0
High Balance:$2,075$2,000
(-$75)
Terms:23 Months23 Months
Limit:$0$0
Payment:$50$50
Opened:10/03/200510/03/2005
Reported:10/31/201011/30/2010
Responsibility:IndividualIndividual
Remarks:---Student loan not in repayment
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

First off, ignore the score from TrueCredit. It's a FAKO and they tend to do weird things like ding for comments that FICO would never ever ding you on, assuming this is the only change. Your FICO score may not have even changed at all. Give me a few, but I'll check around with regards to that comment and FICO scoring.

Message 4 of 6
srodier
Valued Member

I FIGURED SOMETHING LIKE THAT BECAUSE MY CREDIT KARMA RAISED 2 POINT.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi srodier,

When it gets to the point that fako scores are causing you concern, it's time to pull a FICO score.

When you have a few bucks, google discount codes for myfico and pull either a TU or EQ FICO here.

You'll feel confident knowing that you have your real FICO score; and your report will give you real advice on how to improve your score as you move forward.

Congrats on your hard work working with your credit scores and your lowered balances.  All good stuff!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.