Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! car rental gone wrong

tag
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Re: HELP! car rental gone wrong

It does make sense. If I'm not mistaken there is a 1 yr limit on claims of injury.

I would want to know when the injured party filed their claim.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not know that info. Can this be a scared tactic to make me pay? I mean it’s been over 2 years and now I’m getting this. Should I just ignore this? Take this to a lawyer? Like really why 2 years later and just hit me with a bill out of the blue
Message 12 of 15
gdtobefree
Established Contributor

Dabadboy gave you some really good advice since they are in the insurance biz.

I'm like you and have a LOT of questions since the car was inspected upon return.

2 yrs has gone by and that car has been sold most likely.
Unless that is what the claimant has been paid I think it would be the insurance company sensing that.
And that your car insurance at the time of rental should have handled any claims.

Just my 20 questions to add to your 20 questions.
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you rent a car and there is an accident doesn't your car insurance cover it minus the deductible?

If you rent with a premium credit card don't they cover the deductible as a perk?

Is it too late to submit to insurance?

No one wants an accident on their insurance but $17K is a lot of money and if you can have your insurance company handle it and be maybe liable for the deductible only call it a win!

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

ok so i made a huge mistake on being a nice guy and now im screwed. i rented a car for my son in apparently 12/2015 he was in a minor car accident and there was absolutely no damage as i know for qa fact since i was the one that returned the car back to the rental place and it was inspected on return and no problem. 

he did not tell me that there had been an incident with the car so for 2 years i had no clue untill i got a letter december of 2017 from sedgwick saying i owe $17.000 and it came with a police report from the accident. to make matters worse my son was not set as a driver. 

here is what the letter from sedgwick says

we sent you the original invoice and supports on 12/13/2017 and are still waiting for payment. if we do not receive payment by 2/14/2018, your file will be referred to a collection agency or our attorny for collection efforts or consideration of suit. you can avoid having your file sent to collection by remitting payment.

i never been sued and dont know what tomake of this letter its been 2 years and all of a sudden im getting hit with this. what do i do? i do not want this on my credit. please advice on what to do

I would send them a DV

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.