cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP understanding how NYS tax liens work!

tag
Hanson779
Established Member

HELP understanding how NYS tax liens work!

I became unemployed last year October and owed about $608 in NYS taxes for 2015. I managed to pay off $200 dollars over the last year but not before they filed a tax lien against me for $408 issued on 11/1.  I got a notice on my score alerts and immediately called NYS Tax and Finance today. They said they would not vacate  the warrant because it was not issued in error. I am stuck and will do my best to pay it off within the next two months (just got a job last month after being out a full year).  

My two questions:

1. When I search the New York State Tax Warrant Notice System. I see my name and warrant # come up. Once I PIF will it come down from the warrant system or will it continue to be a part of my public record? How long does the tax lien stay a part of the public record? Any ideas on how I could remove it after the warrant is satisfied? 

2. How do I get it the warrant off my CR once I PIF or am I stuck there as well? I know that I would get a "satisfied notice" but it sounds like that may not be enough to have it removed? Correct? 

Any help would be appericated...going through this for the first time so I have idea what to do.

Thanks in advance! 

-H

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HELP understanding how NYS tax liens work!

The exclusion period for tax liens, both under federal FCRA 605(a) and under NYS General Business Law, section 380-j(f)(iii), is 7 years from the date the lien is paid.

You would need to contact the state and have the lien vacated from the public record in order to remove it from your credit report.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.