Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPAA? Grant & Weber

tag
Razohouse
Established Member

HIPAA? Grant & Weber

Grant & Weber has 3 medical CA for me/my child.  These are not correct because the hospital was provided with valid insurance cards, but "lost" their copies and never billed insurance.  Bills are from 2010.

I'm wondering if the there is a HIPAA violation.  The collector told me that based on his review of the account, it looks like the hospital gave me a 30% self-pay discount.  I never signed anything saying this info could be released and I'm really uncomfortable with a collector knowing how much my medical treatment costs, and especially uncomfortable if they can see that there is a discount applied.  I am NOT happy with that.  I wish this hospital would've just billed the insurance like they were supposed to! I had no idea they didn't do it until last month and now it is too late for a claim to be submitted to insurance.

Starting FICO Score: 572 EQ, 533 TU (Feb 2013)
Current FICO Score: 590 EQ, 557 TU
Short Term Goal: 600+ on all 3
Long Term Goal: 750+ on all 3
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: HIPAA? Grant & Weber

As far as I know it is not a HIPAA violation.  Collection agencies are covered entities under HIPAA and are provided with what ever is necessary to collect.

They can give it to you and that is ok.  What they cannot do is provide it to someone else that is not a covered entity.

Message 2 of 3
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Re: HIPAA? Grant & Weber

One of the collections my spouse had was through them. I called to see what could be done, without acknowledging the debt, not that I really could, and they proceeded to tell me that collection was from an emergency room visit on such and such date and the balance was the co-pay  for $100 for an exray on my spouses sprained right knee.  I dont know much about HIPAA but I can tell you that they delete very easily if you pay in full.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.