cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPAA Process Worked!? Collection Gone - For Good?

tag
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

HIPAA Process Worked!? Collection Gone - For Good?

I had an unpaid $25 medical collection that was reporting on Equifax only, from 2008. It was the only collection on any of my reports, and it was tanking my EQ score. I tried negotiating a PFD with the collection agency, and they refused. I talked to the OC, who wouldn't pull the account back from the collection agency and just let me pay them directly. I got really irritated that no one would work with me over $25, so after some Googling, I used the HIPAA process.

I sent the initial letter to the OC on 8/14/12, and the follow-up letter to the OC and CRA on 8/30/12. I've had no communication from anyone (CA, OC or CRA) on this account, aside from one missed phone call from the collection agency on 8/28/12, and they didn't leave a message. I've been checking my reports daily, and there was no change, until today. The account is gone!

I'm thrilled, but also slightly paranoid. I know that once something is removed by a CRA, they have to notify you if they re-insert it. I have no idea who removed it though, the CA or CRA. Equifax is showing online that I have a dispute "pending", but there is no further information given. I guess they probably removed it?

My concern is that it could just show back up as a paid collection. But I would think that if that was going tohappen, it would just update to paid, right? What if the CRA removed it, and then the CA later tries to update it as paid, could it still be re-inserted then?  

My FAKO score jumped 40+ points today. I'm still waiting on a ScoreWatch update to see the real effect on my FICO score. I really hope that this is finally gone for good!

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: HIPAA Process Worked!? Collection Gone - For Good?

Can you please PM me a copy of the letter sent as I am going through the same thing

Message 2 of 6
dobirdsmommy
Established Contributor

Please PM me the letter as well.

building since 2011 Wallet:ME: Walmart 3k;Barclays Rewards 10k, Venture 18k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.2k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases , VS 1.75k, BH 1.62k, Express 1.6k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.55k, Roamans 1.4k, Jessica London 1.54k, kings direct 1.7k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.65k, ........ baddies:Fed Tax Lien
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate, Venture, Barclays
Message 3 of 6
sbeasl11
Regular Contributor

Could you please PM me  the letter, also? Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 6
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

If you could PM me I'd appreciate it too !!!

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
novabama
Frequent Contributor

If you google hippa process you can find the letter and the follow up letter spelled out for ya! I started this process last week as well.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.