Frequent Contributor

HIPAA Process Worked!? Collection Gone - For Good?

I had an unpaid $25 medical collection that was reporting on Equifax only, from 2008. It was the only collection on any of my reports, and it was tanking my EQ score. I tried negotiating a PFD with the collection agency, and they refused. I talked to the OC, who wouldn't pull the account back from the collection agency and just let me pay them directly. I got really irritated that no one would work with me over $25, so after some Googling, I used the HIPAA process.

I sent the initial letter to the OC on 8/14/12, and the follow-up letter to the OC and CRA on 8/30/12. I've had no communication from anyone (CA, OC or CRA) on this account, aside from one missed phone call from the collection agency on 8/28/12, and they didn't leave a message. I've been checking my reports daily, and there was no change, until today. The account is gone!

I'm thrilled, but also slightly paranoid. I know that once something is removed by a CRA, they have to notify you if they re-insert it. I have no idea who removed it though, the CA or CRA. Equifax is showing online that I have a dispute "pending", but there is no further information given. I guess they probably removed it?

My concern is that it could just show back up as a paid collection. But I would think that if that was going tohappen, it would just update to paid, right? What if the CRA removed it, and then the CA later tries to update it as paid, could it still be re-inserted then?  

My FAKO score jumped 40+ points today. I'm still waiting on a ScoreWatch update to see the real effect on my FICO score. I really hope that this is finally gone for good!

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Established Contributor

Re: HIPAA Process Worked!? Collection Gone - For Good?

Can you please PM me a copy of the letter sent as I am going through the same thing

Frequent Contributor

Please PM me the letter as well.

building since 2011 EX 714, EQ 729, TU 724 3/11/15
Wallet:ME: Venture 15k; Slate 5k; Freedom 10k; overstock 4.8k, SGV2.5k; WEMC 20k 1.5 Rewards, Gamestop 1.15k, Fingerhut 3k; 2 NMAC Leases at less than 1% APR, VS 1.45k, BH 1.35k, Express 1.3k, Avenue 1.75k, JCrew 5k, HSN 1.47k, Torrid 1.5k, Roamans 1k, Jessica London 1.24k, kings direct 1.4k, Buckle 1.4k, WW 1.35k, ........ baddies: 1FP CO 08 coming off 5/15,
DH: 1750 capital one fh 2000, AU - VS, BH, HSN, WEMC, SPGV. Freedom, Slate
Regular Contributor

Could you please PM me  the letter, also? Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor

If you could PM me I'd appreciate it too !!!

Thanks

Frequent Contributor

If you google hippa process you can find the letter and the follow up letter spelled out for ya! I started this process last week as well.

Goal Score: 640 Good things come to those who wait.
Good things come to those who work their butt off and never give up.

Removals - Asset Acceptance, Receivable Solutions, LVNV Funding, Enhanced Recovery, Credit Systems Int, Discover Financial, Amchek/Amsher, Financial Adj Services, Chase, Target, AFNI, RJM, Portfolio Rec!
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.