Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPAA Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HIPAA Question

I'm rather new here, first post, etc.. but am needing guidance on my next step.  Here goes... Received a collection letter 8/9 for an unknown medical, disputed with the CA on 8/11, received copy of my bill history that included medical procedure info and my drivers license # etc... - this was sent just regular mail to me with no RR AND the balance showed on the OC statement did not match what the creditor was claiming (about $150 different); sent HIPAA letter to OC CMRR on 9/10 along with PIF.  Received letter back from OC on 9/14 stating they had received payment, requested the CA remove all info from their files and remove any reporting of this (had none to this point) from the CRA, also received zero balance statement.  Lo and behold, I got a score alert today (down 22) due to this now being reported by the CA.  What is my next step?   
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HIPAA Question

The OC is in violation for giving the CA your PHI!!!  you could file a lawsuit against them NOw!!

send the HIPAA dispute to the CRAs reporting the CA.  Be sure to type in italics and on colored paper (blue/green...more blue then green)  mail it CMRRR

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&thread.id=27525&jump=true

I would call the OC before sending them another letter. Tell them that the CA has continued to report and that the OC has given the CA your PHI which is against the law. Tell or ask the OC to notify the CA to delete form all CBs within 5 days to avoid a lawsuit.

Wait to hear from the CRAs   before sending the HIPAA  DV  letter.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 10-04-2008 03:52 PM
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a letter from an attorney that includes my private health information for a paid medical bill. Is this the same situation? I followed the HIPAA process correctly for a paid medical bill.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes likewise. PHI can not be released without your siggy!!!!!

The only info that is allowed to be released is the amount of debt.  The OC and their addy reporting must be masked (unless it is you pulling your own CR) to show a funny account # and NO name of the creditor!

PHI can not  even be given to an attorney that plans to file a lawsuit!!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.