cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPAA medical collection

HIPAA medical collection

Hello,

I've searched but am unable to find the thread detailing the HIPAA process. Can anyone PM or post the link?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPAA medical collection

There is no link at this time. You can ask question in here and someone will answer if they can.
Message 2 of 6

Oh, no questions about it really.  I'm just trying to get an understanding and learn the steps of the process.  I guess I'll try googling.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6

I have a $141 unpaid collection.  The medical service was provided by Doctors on Duty.  I assumed that my medical insurance had covered the cost, however I was unaware that I had to get a referral by my school (university insurance).  The account is still currently unpaid, however I'd like to pay it in full.  With accrued interest the total comes out to $179.

If I pay the collection agency in full, would I be able to go through the HIPAA proces so that the derog is removed?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
Established Member

Allenalexander,

Do not under any circumstances deal with the collection agency.  Check your PM and I have sent you the link to the Hippa Process.  If you need anything else let me know.

Message 5 of 6
Moderator Emeritus

The first step in the process is to opt-out with the CRAs.  IMO everyone should opt-out even if the collection is not medical. This way the CRAs can not farm out your info.
Message 6 of 6