Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPAA question for PAID collection

tag
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

HIPAA question for PAID collection

I have a question for all you HIPAA experts...I have read through the HIPAA thread but I'm not sure if either of those situations actually applies to me.

Here's the deal:

In July 2005 I was admitted to a hospital, ended up with tons of medical bills and most went to collections. I managed to get them all paid off by summer of 2007 (I think...maybe late 2006) and I've used the advice on this thread to get all but ONE collection off my TU reports as of last year.

At one time this specific collection was reporting on both TU and EX. I GW'd them and they deleted off of Experian after several emails to higher-ups (CFO, CEO, etc) however the account is still showing on TU. I have tried to verify with TU several times over the last year and they always come back as "verified" but with no proof. Now there is a remark under the account that states "Account information disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements."

As I stated before the account is paid, however right before I was finished making payments to the CA, they sold the account to another CA. I always addressed the checks to the original creditor however I sent the payments to the CA (pre-myfico.com).

I guess my question is what is the right action to take now? I have tried GW-ing the CA since they deleted from EX with no luck, I have tried disputing on TU with no luck. Should I go to the original creditor? I'd rather not dispute TU again since every time I do they update the date reported. In fact, this account is showing a "Date Opened" as the date the collection was sold to the second CA, NOT the actual DOFD.

Any help?

Thanks!

Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPAA question for PAID collection

So which CA is reporting the paid collection on TU, the one that was paid or the new one? Also, what do you mean by this? Who cashed the payments?

"I always addressed the checks to the original creditor however I sent the payments to the CA?"

Message 2 of 6
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

Let me clarify...

I listed the payee on the checks as the original creditor but the payments were sent to the CA.

I was making payments to CA #1, when only a couple hundred was left to pay off on the debt, CA #1 sold the "account" to CA #2. I finished paying off the collection to CA #2 which is the agency now reporting the debt.

This was 2 years ago and a different checking account, I have no idea who cashed the checks. I assume it was the CA.

Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 3 of 6
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

Bump

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, since you disputed so many times, you'll have to wait till the end of the year or beginning of the new year to start over.
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Moved "2ukb's" question here.

Message Edited by fused on 10-09-2008 06:00 PM

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.