Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPPA Clarification

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HIPPA Clarification

My wife and I are aggressively attacking our past due medical bills over the course of the next few months. We have about 10 of them between the two of us. I've read through the forum about the process but I want to make sure we are about to go about this the right way.

Currently none of the bills have been paid. And there is no disute that we owe this money. We want to pay the money to the OC and at the same time have the CA's remove the trade lines. Is paying the OC before starting the HIPPA process the right thing to do? We have the money to pay them so we would like to start there.

Then after we have confirmations of the payments, send the letters to the CRA's via the HIPPA process? Is this the right line of thought to in the end have the collections paid (to the OC) and have the trade line removed (from the CA's)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message Edited by kameleon on 03-05-2009 09:53 AM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: HIPPA Clarification

You will want to follow the HIPAA process exactly.  And that begins with opting out with the credit reporting agencies and your creditors.  If you haven't already done so, read the HIPAA process thread at the top of the rebuilding your credit board.  It outlines everything you are supposed to do perfectly.  You can pay the OC anytime, use the restrictive endorsement though.  Paying the OC first and then DV'ing the CRA sometimes ends the process right there.  When you actually start the HIPAA process and begin drafting your letters, whether the account is paid or unpaid will determine what language you use. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.