Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPPA Help

tag
AAG1903
Established Member

HIPPA Help

Hi everyone!

Most of my baddies are collection accounts from medical bills....everything I read says to use HIPPA process/letter/etc, but I am unable to locate any details on this.  I've googled it like some suggestions write, but only find that it refers to the fact that the collection agency cannot place anything regarding your health on your credit report, but still affects credit like any other collection acct.

At any rate, please help...I have 24 collection accounts, 19 of which are medical.  The oldest falls off Nov 2015, newest falls off Mar 2019.

Any help whatsoever would be so much appreciated....I plan to probably start tackling them with PFD letters but want to first make sure I get the best advice possible.

CK starting score 514, goal 600 in 6 months or less
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: HIPAA Help

I personally never used that method, but I do know that it cannot be discused on this board.

If the collection agency is willing to delete the collection I would just pay them and move forward with that. Send off DVs for these debts owed and then you can start to offer PFD, I like to start with the smallest first. 

Good luck.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 12
2NE1
Established Contributor

Re: HIPPA Help

HIPAA steps are in your inbox! Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
stepstep
Valued Member

I have gone down the rabbit hole of myFICO the last 3 weeks (apparently almost 24 hours according to my stats) reading, reading, reading and a small amount of posting. I have seen that HIPPA isn't allowed to be discussed on a bunch of messages, but never why. Just curious if anyone can answer, but not sure if that is allowed to be discussed either...

Message 4 of 12
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@stepstep wrote:

I have gone down the rabbit hole of myFICO the last 3 weeks (apparently almost 24 hours according to my stats) reading, reading, reading and a small amount of posting. I have seen that HIPPA isn't allowed to be discussed on a bunch of messages, but never why. Just curious if anyone can answer, but not sure if that is allowed to be discussed either...

This may explain things...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/HIPAA-Process/m-p/710273/highlight/true#M1157...

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 5 of 12
fmouto
Established Member

Can you please send me hippa process

Starting Score: 526
Current Score: 526
Goal Score: 640

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 12
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I don't know anything about this process, though I swear I've seen moderators ask people to not discuss it here.

My contribution to this thread is to simply state that if you're using HIPAA in a letter to spell it correctly so you appear to fully understand what you're talking about- (Two As and One P, not Two Ps and One A). I hope that doesn't sound snarky, but rather I don't want the OP to be dismissed by whomever they are writing to.

HIPAA- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 7 of 12
Cat27hargadon
New Contributor

Can you send me the steps. Thanks!
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please please please send me the hippa steps
Message 9 of 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Google whychat hipaa process. I actually payed a couple I didn't owe, and the CA's deleted without hipaa. But I spent at least 48 hours studying and researching, which I suggest everyone do.

I got my last 4 medical collections pulled from mis billing and being covered by charity care per laws of WA state. I no longer have any medical collections, and only an old charge off being deleted from eq beginning of January.

While the process discusses all these letter writing things, if you are well versed in your states laws, you can take care of everything over the phone. I was dealing with an agency that violated USC code for multi debt collections, and decided to only PFD once. Then I discovered backdating of charity care, and getting the OC's to pull the accounts, this wasn't easy, but persistence paid off.

So TL:dr, research hipaa via google, research collection laws and charity care, and if can afford to pay, realize many agencies will PFD medical, and some will just let you dispute them after being paid, and not answer the dispute (this is mainly small collection agencies).
Signature needs updating
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.