cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPPA Letter apply to my situation or waste of time?

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

HIPPA Letter apply to my situation or waste of time?

I have a bunch of collections that were paid 2-5 years ago. They were all bills from the local hospital which uses a collection agency that I believe is owned by the same people that own the hospital. Anyway they have flatly refused to remove any of the old files from my CR, but did quickly update them to show paid. They prouldy advertise that they meet all state and federal HIPPA requirements in their advertising.

Do I have a chance of getting them removed with this process?

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HIPPA Letter apply to my situation or waste of time?

The HIPAA  process is an interpretation of the HIPAA statute, and is not based on any express provision of the statute that requires debt collectors to delete reporting after payment of a debt.  Being a questionable practice based on lack of firm statutory authority, advice on use of the HIPAA process is generally not appropriate on the site.

Some will preach great results, while others will preach that the entire process is without legal basis.  All I can suggest is to read the literature from its advocates, and pursue if you agree.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.