2. the process for dealing with/getting out of medical debts

Are they the same?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPPA Process for Medical Debts

Kind of a gray area on here.  We don't discuss the HIPPA process on the forums.  You can google HIPPA process and find some information on it.  I"ve never used it, but I believe it's used for getting CAs off of your CR.  Maybe someone can PM you more information.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Shogun,

I am actually reading through past forum threads on that which all say the same as you have advised me.  Thank you so much.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The so-called HIPAA process is an interpretation of the HIPAA statute regarding the ability of furnishers to retain, and thus report, medically related information to a consumer's credit file after the debt has been paid.  It is not a way to get out of the debt, it is a theory directed at removal of reported information.

Being based on the theory that having paid the debt removes their permissible purpose for retaining the medical information in their records, it is predicated upon first paying the creditor.

Discussion of the HIPAA process is not usually conducted on this forum, as it is based on an interpretation, and thus advice is subjective.  Giving advice on a process not based explicitly on statute or established case law can lead to consumers down the wrong path.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi RobertEG,

That makes a lot of sense.  I do appreciate your explanation of the philosophy behind it, and I understand why the process cannot be discussed on this forum.   What you gave me, however, does give me a lot to go on. 

Thank you, as always.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.