Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOLY MOLY I GOT A COLLECTION FROM AFNI!

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

HOLY MOLY I GOT A COLLECTION FROM AFNI!

Got a SW Alert from AFNI.  165.00 from Direct TV.  Was told on the phone that the DOFD June 2006.    He said that I didn't get a letter, because they have my old address. 

DV THEM IMMEDIATELY??

(BTW, he said I could fix this right now with my credit card, but I said I would be sending a DV letter, and he hung up the phone).

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HOLY MOLY I GOT A COLLECTION FROM AFNI!

What do you want to accomplish as your immediate goal?  Satisfy the debt, attempt PFD deletion, or require debt validation prior to proceeding?

If debt validation is a concern prior to paying the debt, then of course DV.  However, once you file a timely DV, you impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector, thus precluding any negotiations on a PFD until such time as they have provided the requested debt verification.  If immediate CR deletion is your primary concern, a DV might be counter-productive.

No clear answer on whether to first DV.

Message 2 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Smiley Sad

Send a DV ASAP. I'd also contact the OC to get info from them, like a last statement or two just to make sure whatever AFNI says is legit.

Message 3 of 24
Booner72
Senior Contributor

IMMEDIATE GOAL:  REMOVAL.

Next month:  Past SOL in my state.

NO WAY am I paying this and I only lost 10 points anyway.  WHO CARES???????????????????????????

I THOUGHT I WAS DONE WITH THIS CRAP.

I OPTED BACK IN AND NOW LOOK WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry to yell, just so frustrated.

Thanks llecs, and Robert for your fast replies!

Message 4 of 24
2NE1
Established Contributor

how do you plan on removing if you're not going to pay it?

Message 5 of 24
pmatt1
Valued Member

check with DirecTV and see if the amount can still be paid to them. I just had a collection with AFNI for directv. Called Directv and was able to pay them and they recalled the collection from AFNI. Trying to deal with AFNI directly got me nowhere.

Starting Score: 518
Current Score: EQ 612(Lender Pull) TU585EX 584 null)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 24
FrugalRican
Blogger

Why did you opt back in?

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 24
p-
Valued Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

... I OPTED BACK IN ...

Why did you opt back in?  No matter; it's probably just a last ditch effort to collect before it ages off.  If it's past SOL you might see it go away with a dispute based on DOFD.  I would DV for sure.  

Honestly, it will age off soon enough, and you have your mortgage.  

Message 8 of 24
Booner72
Senior Contributor

How do I plan on removing it without paying it?  By finding a discrepancy in their reporting and applying the "Booner Method".  Lord knows that should be easy enough.  I have removed over 13 collections in the past year.  For those of you that don't know, the Booner Method involves bugging the living ____ out of them with letters, calls, and faxes of fun and friendly letters about the FDCRA, and FACTA, and "the other one"  (FDCP?....my notes are at work).    If I can get hung up on just by mentioning a DV letter, I am certain to rile some feathers.

Why did I opt back in?  Because I'm a Stoooopid idiot and I wanted to see what credit card offers came. (got a big ego when I hit 700 - BIIIG mistake).   Instead of an offer, I get a collection.  (RobertEG - here is your proof that opting in causes collections and opting out prevents them).

The SOL will be up in June, so they can stick it where the sun don't shine. 

Thank you for all the replies!  This should be fun, I was kinda bored with nothing to do on my credit....and Yep, -p, I got nothin but time, I don't and won't need any credit for a long time, and the only plan is to garden til the BK falls off.

Another exciting thing today is that my 9 year old got a Discover Card Offer.  He is filling it out himself (honestly), such as  his income being $5.00 a week.  ha ha.  We'll see if they even respond back.

I'll come back to this post when I hear back.  I DV'd via CMRRR on the way home from work, so that's all taken care of.

Message 9 of 24
drkaje
Senior Contributor

If it were my debt, I'd try a PFD. Couldn't really see letting it hang on the reports longer than necessary.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.