cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW DO I VALIDATE A DEBT W/ LAWYER OFFICE?

tag
butterflygirlinluv
Regular Contributor

HOW DO I VALIDATE A DEBT W/ LAWYER OFFICE?

I have a couple of bills with Lawyer firms, which are judgements as well on them..how would I validate this to get additional information-Date of service, what service was provided..etc?

Do I contact the OC (hospital)
Write a DV letter to lawyer that is handling this?

Please help!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HOW DO I VALIDATE A DEBT W/ LAWYER OFFICE?

I don't know for sure, but I would think it's too late to DV on a judgment. They'll say the time to DV was PRIOR to it going to judgment.

Basically, by not answering the summons and not appearing to court, you've essentially admitted that the debt is yours.

However, you should be able to ask for (whether from the law firm or directly with the court the judgment originates from) all of the documents used in the suit -- including the whos, whys, whens, and how muches.

I'd also look into the details about serving. All states require (though the details differ on what's considered properly serving) that you be served prior to the court date and that you have time to ready a defense. If you weren't served properly, you could get the judgments vacated (though it leaves them with the right to file against you AGAIN later, within a reasonable amount of time -- which differs by state).
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.