New Visitor

HOW TO DV WHEN CA IS NOT ON CR

Hi, first time posting here. my question is I have a closed account with hsbc that is reporting 2475.00 and I tried to call them to set up a pfd or settlement offer and they would not discuss with me and gave me a number of a collection agency to call. When I called the collection agency that the hsbc gave me they stated that they no longer had it and gave me the number back to hsbc. and  the collection agency is not reporting on my CR. So after reading on the forums I was wondering if I should do a DV letter first, if so who do I send it to?

Established Contributor

Re: HOW TO DV WHEN CA IS NOT ON CR

[ Edited ]

If the collection agency states that they no longer have the account and it's not on your report.. Then there is technically no one to DV.

Epic Contributor

Re: HOW TO DV WHEN CA IS NOT ON CR

[ Edited ]

You are kinda in a bind.

IF the alleged debt collector never reported to a CRA, never had any intial communication with you, and never sent you a collection/dunnng notice, you cant DV them.

Any prior relationship that this debt collector may have had with the OC is just between them and the OC.  No actions under either the FCRA or the FDCPA can be intitiated by you until contact with a CA.

Until you get some type of initial communication from a debt collector (see FDCPA 809(a)), such as a phone call, a collection notice, or a post to your CR, all you can do is to continue to pester the OC as to how to pay this debt.  The OC personnel that you have been talking to are apparently not giving you current status on their collection activies.

I would call the OC and ask to speak with a supervisor.  Ask them specifically if they still own the debt.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.