Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP for processing CC payment?

tag
Leadberry
Established Contributor

HP for processing CC payment?

I recently settled a debt with Asset Acceptance via their lawyers, Fulton, Friedman & Gullace LLP.  I paid via credit card (I know, I'm impatient).  When I pulled my CR's via USAA shortly after, I noticed I got a HP from the law office!  The reason listed is "credit card."  Is this a permissible purpose?

FICO Scores 800+
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: HP for processing CC payment?

I can't imagine way paying a bill would warrant a HP, especially with that notation. I would challenge that via CMRRR now.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

That is not a permissable pull.  First off, there is no reason to pull someone's CR for payment. Secondly, they are not a CC company.  I would contact them concerning this.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

I just found the following in the FTC staff report on the FCRA; it is regarding section 604(a)(3)(A):

A collection agency, detective agency, private investigator, or attorney has a permissible "collection" purpose under this section to obtain a consumer report on a consumer for use in obtaining payment of that consumer's account on behalf of a creditor.  A creditor may obtain a consumer report on an existing account to formulate its collection strategy.  An attorney collecting a debt for a creditor client has a permissible purpose to obtain a consumer report on the debtor to the same extent on the client.

I called FFG to see what they had to say about it, and they said the inquiry was made on 1/30 because I had entered into a settlement agreement without providing payment information.  He stated I provided payment information on 1/31.  Everything he says seems to be valid to me.  Any new thoughts or is your advice still the same?

FICO Scores 800+
Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

I just found the following in the FTC staff report on the FCRA; it is regarding section 604(a)(3)(A):

A collection agency, detective agency, private investigator, or attorney has a permissible "collection" purpose under this section to obtain a consumer report on a consumer for use in obtaining payment of that consumer's account on behalf of a creditor.  A creditor may obtain a consumer report on an existing account to formulate its collection strategy.  An attorney collecting a debt for a creditor client has a permissible purpose to obtain a consumer report on the debtor to the same extent on the client.

I called FFG to see what they had to say about it, and they said the inquiry was made on 1/30 because I had entered into a settlement agreement without providing payment information.  He stated I provided payment information on 1/31.  Everything he says seems to be valid to me.  Any new thoughts or is your advice still the same?

I think the attorney is taking that out of context.  The FCRA does provide PP to the attorney for use in obtaining payment but I take that to mean looking at your CR to see if you have the ability to pay based on what is on your CR.  I have just never heard of a PP because you failed to include your payment information.  It isn't like they can look and see what type cards you have and get money from them.

I could be wrong.  Just a bit strange to me.

Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree. 

The only permissible purpose would be if viewed as a business transaction initiated by the consumer that gave rise to a need to review the consumer's credit standing as part of their acceptance of payment.

You have offered payment, so permissible purpose would no longer be associated with collection activities.  Your payment ends collection activity.

Payment by check might possibly qualify as such a need, but upon offering payment by credit card, the CCC will pay and hold the consumer responsible for the incurred debt.

I dont see a legitimate business need to review the consumer's credit standing as a result of offering guaranteed payment.

Message 6 of 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Alright, thanks for the feedback.  I'll be sending out a letter asking them to delete via CMRRR tomorrow.  Now I'm curious to see where this goes.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 7 of 9
Yj002
Established Member

Can anyone tell me what an "HP" stands for? Thanks

Message 8 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@Yj002 wrote:

Can anyone tell me what an "HP" stands for? Thanks

HP means Hard Pull on your credit report.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.