Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Card Destroyed My Credit!! Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC Card Destroyed My Credit!! Help!

I recently got the first ever negative mark on my credit report from my Household Bank card. Basically, every month I pay my balance, and for the last 6 months my balance was at $0. It seems that they charged me the annual fee, and then never sent me my e-statement, so I had no idea there was a balance due. A month passes, and I got a statement telling me I was past due.

I called and had the late fees removed, paid the balance to $0, and then was told I would be getting a 30 days late on my credit report, and there is no way to fix it. I am furious, and had a 700 credit score before this, with nothing EVER negative on my credit report. I emailed someone in the office of the president, and explained the situation and was told there is nothing they can do, even though the person who took my payment admitted fault, saying that there was a problem and the statement was never sent out. 

I spoke with them on several occasions, only for them to hang up on me last time. They have been SO rude, and I can only figure that it is because they are all losing their jobs, and Capital One is buying all their credit cards out.

What options do I have?

One thing that may be possible, My husband opened up this credit card, and I never signed anything, or authorized him to do it. Could I get them to remove the tradeline based on that? How would I go about it?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: HSBC Card Destroyed My Credit!! Help!

I would make sure I have the CSR's name and the date/time you called them.  I would then write a letter to the CEO and explain that they admitted fault.  If they don't fix it then you can file a BBB complaint.  Possibly.

I would be raising Holy HEEECK with this company by calling every other hour, emailing, writing, faxing etc.  Sooner or later they should give in since you say they admitted it is their fault.  However, it is your responsibility to make sure that any account you have is always paid in good standing regardless of getting statements or not.  It is your liability to take care of this.  So in that way of looking at it maybe it wasn't their fault.

Have you threatened to close the account if they don't delete the late?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have tried everything to get them to delete it. Even th...

I have tried everything to get them to delete it. Even the person from the office of the president said no. Then she hung up on me. I feel like there is nothing else I can do and I am getting so angry. I really worked hard for the last 5 years to build my credit, EVEN was approved for an Amex, and then HSBC charges me an annual fee and never sends the statement, then they blame it on me. My balance has always been paid in full with these jerks.

Message 3 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

what booner said...  plus, Sue.  If you were never properly billed then you were never late.  I'm sure some contingency bottom feeder would love a slice of that judgement.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am married to a lawyer, so I wouldnt need to hire one. I could sue them in court myself, but I really don't want to have to do that. There has to be a way to get them to delete the late mark without going to the extreme. 

Message 5 of 17
ALHondaGuy
Contributor

Whatever you're going to do, do it quickly. HSBC's credit division got acquired by Cap1 today.

Message 6 of 17
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am married to a lawyer, so I wouldnt need to hire one. I could sue them in court myself, but I really don't want to have to do that. There has to be a way to get them to delete the late mark without going to the extreme. 

Then just hound the living crap out of them - if you weren't billed, you weren't late.  Keep saying that until they relent. 

Message 7 of 17
GregB
Valued Contributor

Based on the information provided the OP was billed, she just didn't download the statement - actually should be two statements if they recorded a 30-day late. Legally they are under no obligation to get the statement to the OP by any method. Not receiving the statement might help explain not paying but it really does nothing for the legal requirements to pay on time.

OP,

They certainly might give you a consideration if this is the first time and you have been a good customer but they aren't under any requirement to do so. They have already been generous in waving the fee. I think what you really wanted was to be happy to pay the fee but make sure they didn't record a 30-day late. If I read you post correctly, you haven't used the card at all for 6 months. If that is true then you aren't as good a customer as you were before which puts you in a worse position to ask for a favor.

On you last paragraph, I don't know if that means that the CC is in your husbands name and you are an AU. If that is the case then you could remove yourself as an AU. The late should be on his report also.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because they "generate" a statement does not mean it was sent, nor does it give them the right to place blame on the consumer when it was never received. They can't apologize and admit fault and then deny it later.

The card was used withithe last 6 months, but always paid in full after each statement. Just because we are not defined as "good", does not give them the right to ruin our credit.
Message 9 of 17
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Have you tried Planet Feedback? I've seen people get results there, but really haven't looked in a long while.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.