Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC charge off question

tag
fixitquick
Contributor

HSBC charge off question

With the news of HSBC's credit card services being sold to Capital One, is it worthwhile to try to DV/dispute an old HSBC charge off?

I've sent GW letters and have received no responses.  Received calls from a rinky dink CA last fall that claims to have purchased the account (not reporting), but they backed off after I told them to only contact me in writing and I disputed the amount that they were claiming that I owe.  I even offered a PFD (or agreement not to report, rather) and they did not respond.

Details on the account:

Balance $0

Date updated: 06/30/2010

Date opened: 07/29/2005

Date closed: 07/29/2009

TU estimates that this will be removed 04/2016

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Starting Score (08/22/11): TU: 510 / EQ: 512
Current Score 07/11/14 TU: 658 / 07/11/14 EQ: 669 / 07/14/14 EX: 664
Goal Score: 720+ across the board!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fixitquick
Contributor

Re: HSBC charge off question

bump

Message 2 of 7
ihatemyscore
Frequent Contributor

Capital one has already taken ownership of HSBC & Orchard. They will not delete the charge-off unless maybe you PFD.

BK: 7 filed 3/31/12 - Discharged 6/27/12
Made some poor choices and life snowballed
BK: 13 filed 7/29/16 - on a 36th month time out
No CC - No Loans - Student Loans all current.
Message 3 of 7
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I was wondering the same thing. It mysterously disappeared off EQ (oddly enough, the same CRA they used to soft me and preapprove me for a new card...ain't that a trip) but said account still remains on TU and EX.

It's gonna fall off next year so I'm probably just gonna leave it or try to sort out some PFD situation...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 7
fixitquick
Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. It mysterously disappeared off EQ (oddly enough, the same CRA they used to soft me and preapprove me for a new card...ain't that a trip) but said account still remains on TU and EX.

It's gonna fall off next year so I'm probably just gonna leave it or try to sort out some PFD situation...

In my case, I decided to go ahead and give them a call today.  The CSR was able to find the account using my SSN, so I'm glad I didn't dispute.  She was unable to help me further though - said that I'd have to speak to the Recovery Dept, who is available M-F. 

I will call next week and attempt a PFD.  Although I've had a CA contact me about this account, my fingers are crossed that HSBC still owns it and/or has the ability to get it back, since the CA isn't reporting.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What would be the basis for disputing a charge-off?  Was the debt not delinquent when they charged it off?

Disputing the amount would only require, should they agree or are unable to verify the amount you assert, correction on their part, and would not require deletion.

If the entire obligation for the debt is disputed, and the debt is now in the hands of a debt collector, you could DV and require them to obtain verification from the OC.

Unless they respond that the debt itself was not valid, then I dont see a DV leading to any deletion of the charge-off.

Message 6 of 7
fixitquick
Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

What would be the basis for disputing a charge-off?  Was the debt not delinquent when they charged it off?

Disputing the amount would only require, should they agree or are unable to verify the amount you assert, correction on their part, and would not require deletion.

If the entire obligation for the debt is disputed, and the debt is now in the hands of a debt collector, you could DV and require them to obtain verification from the OC.

Unless they respond that the debt itself was not valid, then I dont see a DV leading to any deletion of the charge-off.

Thanks for your input - I was obviously a bit confused with my terminology.  I will reference your post in the future though!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.