Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC -> Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC -> Capital One

I opened an HSBC credit card 4+ years ago.
The account was switched to Capital One in 2012.

My credit report shows 1 30day late payment (before 2010) prior to this switch.

The account was paid off completely in 2012 after the switch.

Noticed today that both HSBC and Capital One are showing up on my credit report- both reporting the delinquency.

Called the # (which both of them list on the credit report) and spoke with one of their representatives.

I explained the whole situation and asked if I could speak with someone to resolve (1. Removing one of the two reports entirely.) and/ or (2. Removing the delinquency) considering the entire account history (minus the delinquency) is in excellent standing.

She was somewhat rude, misunderstanding, and eventually hung up on me.

// on a side note, I was polite/ friendly the entire time

Called back again, immediately asking if I could please speak with a supervisor (and explained that my call was either lost or hung up on).

The supervisor apologized multiple times.

She said she will escalate the issue #1 on her end and get it taken care of.

As for #2:

-- Apparently they do not have access to history prior to 12/2010.

-- She gave me a fax number and instructed me to fax a copy of my credit report (with an attached cover letter/ GW request)

My questions:

-- If they don't have any information prior to 12/2010, would it be better to dispute the history entirely instead?

--/ or would it be better to try the GW approach first?

-- Do they more commonly delete the entire account -- or do they mark that month as 'ND'?

---- If marked as 'ND', does this improve my credit score more so than if the entire history was deleted?

-- Would faxing my credit report to them give them additional leverage?

Thanks for your time & help in advance

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
JCSC
Valued Member

Re: HSBC -> Capital One

Sounds like a prime opportunity to dispute the debt.  I am taking the initiative and doing so myself on the two that I have.

Starting Scores 11/12: EQ 540 TU? EX?
Current Scores
04/18 myfico EQ FICO 662
01/19 myfico TU FICO 593
01/13 lender pull EX FICO 522
Next Goal Mid score 675
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In disputing, the consumer is required to provide some basis for an asserted inaccuracy.

Throwing out a dispute without basis simply to see if they can verify the information might work, but technically they could refuse to investigate the accuracy based on lack of any supporting documentation, and thus being "frivolous or irrelevant."

Chances are they might just delete, not wanting to continue dispute over the issue.

If they do verify the accuracy, which would be a bit dicey without support, they need not provide supporting documentation, so you could be left with recourse only to civil litigation to compel documentation.

Have a go, but I suggest you find some basis other than just a fishing expedition to support an assertion that the delinquency actually did not occur, and thus avoid a mere dismissal of any obligation to even investigate the dispute.

No, account deletion is not an issue.  Disputes extend only to the accuracy of the reported information, which in this case is limited to the delinquency itself.

Message 3 of 4
JCSC
Valued Member

Well wanted to give an update on disputing old HSBC debts.  I went ahead and diputed the two I had through Experian with no knowledge of the debt.  They came back with one verified and one delete.  I am happy with the easy delete.  Next is to send a MOV and go from there.

Starting Scores 11/12: EQ 540 TU? EX?
Current Scores
04/18 myfico EQ FICO 662
01/19 myfico TU FICO 593
01/13 lender pull EX FICO 522
Next Goal Mid score 675
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.