Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had credit problems in the past, now trying to clean everything up

tag
Stanley1978
New Visitor

Had credit problems in the past, now trying to clean everything up

Hello! I've been a long-time reader of the forums, but this is my first post. 

My credit scores are all in the mid 600 range right now, but I still have a few blemishes I'm trying to clean up. 

I have an open Credit One card, and it's been open for about 2.5 years. I had one 30 day payment back in Aug 2012 that shows up on EQ and EX. Since this late payment, they have kept on offering me credit limit increases. I sent a GW letter to them and disputed, but they won't budge on helping me out. I'm current with an $8 balance, and every payment has been on time since the 30 day late. I talked to a supervisor today, and he told me there is nothing they can do. Would threatening to close the account maybe help them decide to help out?

I opened a First Premiere card about five years ago, before I started rebuilding my credit. I also was late on this about four years ago, and it ended up closing at 90 days past due. I paid the account in full, and all charges that were incurred by the late fees. I should have tried a PFD, but I didn't know about it at that time. Tried sending the GW letter about a month ago, and they won't budge either. 

About the same time as my other credit problems, I had a lien filed for state taxes. Do GW letters work with the state? Or should I try something else?

I've gone from mid 400s to mid 600s the past two years, and everything has been current since the Credit One was 30 days late.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Re: Had credit problems in the past, now trying to clean everything up

The very first thing to do is be on time with all your accounts. Since the lender will not budge the late payment will stay on your report for 7 years from when it was first delinquent. As time goes by & your account ages your score will start going up. The best thing to do for now is either have very low balances or use the cards and pay them off each month. And whatever you do, make sure that you have no authorized user accounts on your reports in an attempt t boost your scores. This summer within the next 3-4 months authorized users accounts will no longer be calculated into the score.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.