cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had disputed items removed and paid off several debts, score is LOWER?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Had disputed items removed and paid off several debts, score is LOWER?

Beyond confused. My FICO credit score was around 560. I had several items removed from my report. A utliity bill that was not mine, a tax lien (which I heard was VERY important) a bunch of medical bills that were taken care of by the medical office. 

I also paid off some outstanding debts, including accurate medical things and a credit card, in full. 

After I paid my credit card and it now shows "Closed, payment status LATE, Balance $0" My report when down to 497.  

I received the email that the disputed items were all removed, but no change to my score.

Here is what I am seeing on my report. All of the medical bills  say "CLOSED, payment status LATE," But carry the balance. 

The Public Record part shows the tax lien but says this "date filed 12/31/0000 type Released tax lien"

Im waiting for 2 credit cards in the mail that I could apply for now with such terrible credit. I understand that will help. Currently, I am more concerned about these things being on my report but not in good standing (as it seems?) and why my score was lowered so much?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Had disputed items removed and paid off several debts, score is LOWER?

I'm sorta confused because if the collections were removed they would not appear on your credit report.
like the tax lien.

Did you pfd?
Did you get it in writing?

You can goodwill the one that are late or have been paid but still appear on your report.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm sorta confused because if the collections were removed they would not appear on your credit report.
like the tax lien.

Did you pfd?
Did you get it in writing?

You can goodwill the one that are late or have been paid but still appear on your report.

Im confused too. I disputed the tax lien with equifax as well as the utlitiy bill. I got an email from them saying they were both removed. The tax lien was paid years ago and the bill was erronous. The bill was 100% removed. The lien, obviously, is still there. But reporting "Released".

The ones that are paid but say late and closed, does that hurt my credit? Do I have to call them and bug them to have it removed completely? Im so confused on why my score is lower dispute paying things off and having other things completely removed.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok got ya
If those 2 items EQ removed are on TU and EQ then hopefully EQ will share the removal with them and they will also delete them.

Paying items without having them deleted will not help your score.

The fact that they sat there dormant then were awoke by the CA changing the status to paid dropped your score.

I would start a relentless goodwill letter campaign to get them removed.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok got ya
If those 2 items EQ removed are on TU and EQ then hopefully EQ will share the removal with them and they will also delete them.

Paying items without having them deleted will not help your score.

The fact that they sat there dormant then were awoke by the CA changing the status to paid dropped your score.

I would start a relentless goodwill letter campaign to get them removed.

They still are on EQ and TU still, dispite EQ removing them. THat really is upsetting. I guess I just shouldn't have paid the dumb things and let them sit? 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to mention my confusion on the medical bills that say closed but still have a balance.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anything is reported wrong on your credit report you can dispute it with the cra as inaccurate but be prepared to scan and upload or fax documents supporting your claim for the best results.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.